• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What ammo do you shoot in your Ruger Precision 308?

Clintstone

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
40   0
Reaction score
A week or so ago I picked up a Ruger Precision Gen 2 in 308... What ammo are you guys using or recommend for target and hunting? Not looking for most expensive but I would like quality ammo. I think I want 168 gr to 180 range...

Thanks very much...

Shooting mat was not available but the beach towel was close ... Lol.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 424
Hard to beat FGMM 168 or 175. I'm still fairly new to reloading, but I'm using Varget with FGMM brass 168 & 175 Sierra's and a few 168 Amax's worked in . The majority of the talk is about the 6.5, but if you're not already aware, there is a ton of info on the RPR on The Sniper's Hide Forum under bolt action rifles.

I've had plenty of students come through shooting the RPR in .308. Most shot factory ammo and some shot handloads.

The factory ammo that I can remember folks using were FGMM 175grn, M118LR, and IMI Razorcore 175grn. They all shot very well.

Can't comment on the 168grn loads, I don't have many students shooting it. We go out to 1,000yds in my Basic Precision Rifle Course and the 175's usually work a bit better at distances beyond 600yds. Not that it can't be done, and done well on occasion, but sometimes there are issues.

Just a sloppy photo of my rifle, but mine (originally a 243, now a 308) shoots 1MOA with malaysian surplus MG ammo. Sometimes I get a flyer, but that's probably because I'm shooting old stuff. I'm waiting to reload so I dont have to spend a bunch on match ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_3646.JPG
    IMG_3646.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 401
I"m just getting started with longer range but from talking with friends the 175gr Sierra Match King (SMK) seems to be the standard "go to" for longer range. Again from what I've read it seems to be more stable at longer distances vs. the 168gr that you tend to see a bit more often. 178gr Amax is similar and I"m curious to try Hornady's new ELD tipped bullets.

I bought a couple of boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM) 175gr to start with and get a baseline, then I'll start working on some hand loads.

one day ill try factory. I have been pleasantly surprised by ZQi 147 m80 ball. It shoots 1.5 ish moa in just about everything ive tried it in. Not bad for hitting steel.

Back
Top Bottom