• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What 10 mm for my back country hunts?

I might consider doing super fancy ammo in something you already have. Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman might make a round for a gun you already have that has the same punch as some 10mms.

You could also take a 45 and make it 45 super if that's an option for you.
Heh. You can make it into a .460 Rowland, too. I've done this, and you can get around 1000 ft-lbs out of a 4.5" Springfield, with the Rowland kit. But you can do basically the same with a stock 10mm, with commercial ammo, for hundreds of dollars less.

I settled on 275 gr. hardcasts at 1050 fps out of my Rowland setup, which is not a maximum load. That's effectively the famous .45 "Long Colt" load from a 7" revolver. But I have 13 of them in the mag, not merely 6.

The Springfield .45s are OK with .45 Super loads, from the factory-- just not a full-time diet of it.

I am not recommending this for your hunting protection needs however. Stick with the 10mm or a .44 Mag.

I’ve got gen 2 Glock 20 and a 1006 smith in 10’and like both! The Glock is hard to beat weight , and accurate as well as will handle the heavy loads and 15 rounds in mag !

Back Country hunting = Glock

The darn things don't know there not a revolver. Born for hard use, shrugs off wet conditions,
Exceedingly durable, and you can carry everything you need to rebuild the thing in a pill bottle. Glock is the only hard use system that you can replace the extractor in the field in a matter of moments using the 3/32" pin punch Glock tool.....and 15 rounds, to boot.

Think about a nice revolver taking a spill in some mud and muck. This situation won't be nearly as harmful to a Glock. You can clear the action, rinse it out in a stream and truck on. BTDT.

I had an XDM 10mm and a Glock 20. Still have the Glock 20. Will get a second Glock 20 before another 10mm of any other make. Just love the fit, feel and function.
It's almost impossible right now but I'd love to be able to handle them both at a store. I'll go back and ponder on the glock for the time being. I have a little ways before I have to have it.

I’ve tried the Glocks 20 & 40. For my taste the polymer frame allowed way too much pop. Realizing the pressure of the round.
SA XDm 5.25” I was as accurate with it as I thought I should’ve been with a match gun?
Sig 220 legion. This is the one still in possession. The legion finish isn’t the best of quality but it was the only option available at the time. All metal frame and slide. Still a little pop but better at displacing it.
Also, if you have a Glock 21 you can get a .460 Rowland conversion for them if the pressure comfort isn’t an issue for you & save some $.

i'd also recommend revisiting the glock. i've had a couple different 10mm and it was always the best shooting of them.

Also one thing to keep in mind that if your in that type of situation and actually need your back up weapon, then you are most likely facing a bear or moose and in both of those situations i want as many rounds as i can get.

Back
Top Bottom