• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What 10 mm for my back country hunts?

Zforzachariah14

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
5   0
Reaction score
I finally have enough points to go do some back country hunts in Wyoming and Montana and was looking at buying a 10mm for my side carry while hunting with my bow. Anyone have one and what brand you like? I was not a fan of the Glock when I looked at them at the store. Would like to handle the M&P and the XD if anyone has either with pro's and con's

Hmmm... regarding any 10mm revolver-- just make sure your cartridges don't have the bullets pulled out due to recoil. That can get you killed, and most auto ammo is not loaded with that in mind. Personally, for a revolver I'd go with a 3" .44 Mag, probably S&W model 69. Loaded with 300 gr. hardcast bullets with monster meplats.

(I agree that 10mm makes a great revolver cartridge, as does 9mm in a pocket sized revolver. But you gotta be cognizant of the bullet pulling issue, and the use of moon clips.)

The smallest 10mm auto would be my choice, as easier to manage while under Mr. Bear. With Buffalo Bore hardcast bullets for maximum penetration. I like the Springfields due to the grip safety, but the M&Ps are also very good guns (maybe better, truthfully).

I might consider doing super fancy ammo in something you already have. Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman might make a round for a gun you already have that has the same punch as some 10mms.

You could also take a 45 and make it 45 super if that's an option for you.

In all honesty I would revisit the Glock, in particular the Glock 20, They are durable, the mag holds 15 rounds, a far greater capacity than either a revolver or a 1911. I’m not that familiar with the S&W or the SA offerings.
I second this, I just recently got a 10mm , for a field weapon the Glock 10mm is very tough to beat, you will be pleasantly surprised on how little recoil is felt

Back
Top Bottom