• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wet Tumbling: Frankford Arsenal or HF Concrete Mixer

You did good.

I have the HF cement mixer, which I used for a handful of mortar and cement projects, and the motor is already shot, despite the fact that I never overloaded it, cleaned it after use, and kept it stored properly. I generally like HF products, but that is one of their "wish you the best of luck" products.
If the motor goes, I have a spare 1HP that I salvaged from my wife's old treadmill.

Well, I ran the brass for 1 hour and I am very happy with the results.

SAM_1476.JPG

Some lessons learned:
1. Can only run 1/2 the contents of a 5 gallon bucket, still a pretty good quantity compared to my old vibratory tumbler.
2. The post cleanup is a lot more labor than I thought, but it was nice as I did not have to deal with any dust. Rinsing till all the suds are gone and separating the pins from the brass took 3 different containers along with a media separator.
3. Those stainless pins go everywhere, I need to figure a way to separate them with a lot less mess. Maybe throw in some magnets the last 5 minutes of tumbling or acquire some bigger media or maybe not use them at all.

I'm not into reloading so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't coat the inside with anything. The brass will probably knock bits and pieces off of it that would get mixed in. Would probably start to peel off in time as well, creating a bigger mess.
I am jealous of you guys. I wish I had the time to shoot that many rounds let alone reload that many.

If you guys would take a pair of pliers and pinch the ends of your brass some you wouldn't have to worry about brass getting stuck inside of each other. That tip is for free, you'll thank me later.;)

I use steel pins without a problem. Use the media separator I listed above.
They will be a few left after drying. Use a small magnet to pick them up and throw them back in with the rest of the pins.

Back
Top Bottom