• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wet Tumbling: Frankford Arsenal or HF Concrete Mixer

I use new polish every couple batches. I think its time to switch it out. I've ran thousands of pieces of brass through it. Probably over 10k in the same gallon of walnut media. It still cleans them just not as good as it use to lol.
I run 50/50 corn cob and walnut with a dash of nufinish car wax. Cut up dryer sheets from the dollar store seem to help with the dust. I have been eyeing a wet tumbler as well.

I wouldn't use a concrete mixer unless..........

you spray in some type of thick rubberized or plastic coating. Just brass bouncing around knocking into steel walls and paddles is gonna wear the brass. Even in the Frankford units the action of the steel pins slightly abrades, you can see the tiny flecks of residual brass when you rinse things out. Concrete mixer coated internally with something like truck bed liner should be great!

You'll also need to figure out some straining sieve. Maybe a 5 gallon bucket with some fine stainless steel mesh over a drain hole. I actually have some #500 stainless steel cloth that would work, happy to contribute a piece towards the betterment of the ODT through a science project!

I went to wet tumble after reading:
https://compasslake.com/product/preparing-brass-info-only/

when I was shopping for an AR barrel.

tl:dr from the website:

Following these procedures will result in cases that are the proper dimension and also clean and ready to load. With two (2) exceptions.

(1)If you have military brass that had crimped in primers. The crimp needs to be removed. You can perform this operation after you decap. Alternatively, you can purchase a Dillon 1050 and it will take the primer pocket crimp out as you load your ammo.

(2)If you insist on using walnut shells or corncob media to clean your cases, you must wash and dry your brass before reloading. Otherwise, you run the risk of leaving abrasive dust in the cartridge case, which will result in premature wear of your barrel. We have seen very expensive barrels shot out in 1,500 rounds due to abrasive wear from the dust left in the cartridge cases. You can wash the brass in the sink with hot water and dish detergent. Tumble the brass around a few times to wash them, rinse them, and set them out to dry. My hope is that this information, although it is lengthy, will help you load ammo for your new rifle efficiently, properly, and safely. I want you to enjoy your new barrel and for it to last you many rounds downrange.

and I have the 7L Frankford. I can get a full gallon size ziploc full of 45ACP at a time. I haven't counted but that should be 800ish.

....or as I tell my wife when she sarcastically asks "how many of those things are you loading", 800ish give or take a couple dozen mostly peaceful protesters.

I wouldn't use a concrete mixer unless..........

you spray in some type of thick rubberized or plastic coating. Just brass bouncing around knocking into steel walls and paddles is gonna wear the brass. Even in the Frankford units the action of the steel pins slightly abrades, you can see the tiny flecks of residual brass when you rinse things out. Concrete mixer coated internally with something like truck bed liner should be great!

You'll also need to figure out some straining sieve. Maybe a 5 gallon bucket with some fine stainless steel mesh over a drain hole. I actually have some #500 stainless steel cloth that would work, happy to contribute a piece towards the betterment of the ODT through a science project!
I'll look into the rubberized coatings and see if they are feasible.

I have a brass media separator I can use, to separate the pins from the brass, probably modify a 5 gallon bucket and small drill holes on the bottom to separate the water from the pins.

Following these procedures will result in cases that are the proper dimension and also clean and ready to load. With two (2) exceptions.

(1)If you have military brass that had crimped in primers. The crimp needs to be removed. You can perform this operation after you decap. Alternatively, you can purchase a Dillon 1050 and it will take the primer pocket crimp out as you load your ammo.

(2)If you insist on using walnut shells or corncob media to clean your cases, you must wash and dry your brass before reloading. Otherwise, you run the risk of leaving abrasive dust in the cartridge case, which will result in premature wear of your barrel. We have seen very expensive barrels shot out in 1,500 rounds due to abrasive wear from the dust left in the cartridge cases. You can wash the brass in the sink with hot water and dish detergent. Tumble the brass around a few times to wash them, rinse them, and set them out to dry. My hope is that this information, although it is lengthy, will help you load ammo for your new rifle efficiently, properly, and safely. I want you to enjoy your new barrel and for it to last you many rounds downrange.
Hell i just throw the brass in the wash machine and then in the dryer,works great,oh **** gotta go here comes the wife.

I never washed my brass after polish on walnut/corn media, just loaded and go. But then again I never loaded much for precision shooting mostly pistol rounds and 556/223 for action shooting. All my ARs have chrome lined barrels aside from my 6.5G, which I have shot only factory ammo through.

Back
Top Bottom