• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

went fishing today

West Point has been fishing very good. I've been a number of times since Christmas and we are catching 30-50 fish in 2-3 hours, late in the afternoon. It's a mixed bag of hybrids, stripers, whites, and spotted bass. Catching them on Alabama rigs and jigging spoons. Find the shad and birds, and the fish will be close.

I put my minnow trap out at the dock this morning and had a few crawdads caught by lunch time. I rigged them up for catfish bait and will be going back to check my lines shortly I will post a few photos latter.

thank you for getting him started in what can often be a life long adventure.
some of the best times in life can be going fishing with dad at a young age,
calling dad up later in life telling dad about his grandsons as a child going fishing,
then latter in life remembering dad and all the good times you had with him when
he was teaching you the ways of the fishing rod.
ive only seen this type of thing happen to friends. my dad died when i was but 2 yrs old.

We fish a lot. He has more gear than I do. Lol...I've had him out in the back yard casting since he was 18 months old. For the past 2 years he has caught over 100 fish each year. Bass, crappie, bream, catfish, trout. We fish in the jon boat a lot, and my Dad (75) goes with us too. We are also planning another trout stream trip in the spring, and I am trying to plan out a striper trip very soon.

You are right about the memories. I am thankful my Dad always took my brother and I, and that he can still go with us. Some of the best times of my life were hunting and fishing with my Dad.

My son lives fishing more than any kid I've ever seen. I would like to get us into some tournaments, eventually.

Here are a few photos

Attachments

• P1010166.JPG
    P1010166.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010168.JPG
    P1010168.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010172.JPG
    P1010172.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010173.JPG
    P1010173.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010171.JPG
    P1010171.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 27
Here are a few photos

something to be said about trapping/catching your own bait. i havent done it for fresh water
in several decades. that crawdad on the hook just put a smile on my face as it brought back so many forgotten
memories. i might buy me a trap this yr and go do some old school fishing my dang self.
now see what ya done went and did lol.
what do you use to bait your traps?
now when it comes to the salt, catching your own bait is a must do. darn near as fun as catching your target species
salt is my passion for sure.

Buy a Gee minnow trap tie a string on it toss it in the water , I never bait the trap they just flock to it seems crazy but it works I have ben doing it for years.

Back
Top Bottom