• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Well this should kill the Mustang off.

When they can compete at the 24 hours of le mans, I'll be impressed.
Or even complete a full day's highway driving.

Not their bailiwick. That's like expecting a Cadillac to finish the Baja 500... It's simply not what they were designed for.

Unless batteries make a quantum leap, like 10x or 100x their current energy density, the role of the EV will be for local and short 'long distance' trips of 3-4 hours.

Luckily for EV companies, probably 99% of all drivers fit this category. For someone who commutes during the week and drives up to the mountains or to the shore on the weekend, the typical 250-300 mile range is more than enough, and even if it takes hours to charge off a regular AC plug when you get there, who cares?

And even for long road trips a Tesla can recharge 250 miles of range in 15 minutes with the new Superchargers. Time your next fuel stop and I bet you'll see it's not much shorter.

Not their bailiwick. That's like expecting a Cadillac to finish the Baja 500... It's simply not what they were designed for.

Unless batteries make a quantum leap, like 10x or 100x their current energy density, the role of the EV will be for local and short 'long distance' trips of 3-4 hours.

Luckily for EV companies, probably 99% of all drivers fit this category. For someone who commutes during the week and drives up to the mountains or to the shore on the weekend, the typical 250-300 mile range is more than enough, and even if it takes hours to charge off a regular AC plug when you get there, who cares?

And even for long road trips a Tesla can recharge 250 miles of range in 15 minutes with the new Superchargers. Time your next fuel stop and I bet you'll see it's not much shorter.
When it becomes their bailiwick they'll be a competitive replacement.
Until then they're no more than the 3rd vehicle you drive under certain circumstances, but not a replacement.
Now, if I could find an ev with a generator and tank good for more than 100 miles, that might be reasonable.

I was actually looking at the Chevy Volt for a while, until they cancelled it. It used the same principle as a diesel-electric locomotive.

It had a small gas motor whose primary job was to run a generator and keep the battery charged. You could plug it in for about 30 miles of pure-EV driving and never use the gas motor at all, or you could simply let the gas motor recharge the battery as you drove.

Most owners reported that the only time the gas engine actually ran was the monthly 'engine check' it would do if they just commuted with the car and were able to plug it in for an hour or two at both ends.

The cool thing was that you could just use it like a gas car too. It would drive forever as long as you kept the motor supplied with gasoline, so there was never any reason to worry about range.

It was a brilliant idea that died because Chevy screwed up the marketing, availability, and purchasing of it, and killed it off in favor of the pure-EV Bolt as soon as they could.

There is a car ?

Yes...you missed it.

There is another Mustang II in this pic too....do you see it?
ccb2233e95b7d2addcc24951b38c46e4.jpg

Despite the naysayers, should be a good seller for Ford. The stock is still cheap FYI.

Bam, you hit the nail on the head. Ford is staging a nice comeback and I'm rooting for them. I hope the new electric mustang, hybrid and electric f-150 and the new Bronco are all a huge successes. We need American manufacturing to be healthy and strong, I'd love to see Ford give Tesla a run for their money.

I hate this thing (Mustang Mach E) and have said so in previous threads on it. I think Ford is shortsighted and trying to give the all electric Mach E credibility with low knowledge buyers (soccer moms). In the end, it will only hurt the true Mustang's image with life long fans and owners (like me).

Oh...and it's Mustang II, not 2. :biggrin1: It was good enough for Farrah!

Exactly ! That was my point. This silly ecco friendly bull**** will only hurt the value of all Mustangs. Again I've never owned one. They aren't my thing. But I've sold a bunch of them and driven a bunch of them. The Fox body is a miserable riding go kart kinda car. BUT... It is without a doubt the Ruger 10/22 of 80s muscle cars. I don't think any other make and model has the aftermarket support of the Fox body.
It really sucks that they would bastardiize the name. In previous years this kinda thing would onky have beed done by GM/Chevy. I hope this fails in a big way. But I expect soccer moms and D bags to line up to buy this pathetic comprise.

While I agree with you guys in principle. We are all wrong. The world has turned, fuel efficiency is the new cool. You are absolutely right: guys like you won't but these cars, but they are not selling these cars to guys like you. Suburban mom's and millions and millions and millions of 20-40 year olds buy most of the new cars and they want fuel efficiency and loads of technology. Ford realized it was slowly going out of business trying to sell cars to guys like you, so they have caught up with the times and are doing their best to remain competitive. Japanese, and European car companies along with Tesla are going to put Ford out of business if they don't offer cars like they are coming out with.

While i too cringe at the use of the Mustang name for an all electric car with fake engine noise...I applaud Ford's effort to do their part to keep America Great.

That's the Mach-E and in reality, if Ford can pull it off it'll nuke Tesla. The fast version of it should be a real barn-burner.

Face it folks, the future of performance cars is electrons, not hydrocarbons. And as far as bastardizing the Mustang name?

Really?

Until they came out with the 2005 Mustang they had polluted the name since 1970.
Mustang II? :puke:

Fox Body? :behindsofa:

Mustangs have sucked since the sixties. The latest iteration is cool, but about as far as you can go with gasoline.

The future is lectric baby! :laser:

1000% right !

Back
Top Bottom