• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weird neck on 223 brass. Help me out!

twinglock40z

Default rank <400 posts
Don’t tell my wife I’m on here.
56   0
Reaction score
6B512ED4-62F2-4459-A424-E76AFA9DB7CE.jpeg 6DB35DF0-AB19-4F51-AD7B-7F3A4D027B71.jpeg Until recently I’ve only reloaded my own once fired brass. Here lately I’ve been getting once fired brass from various sources. I’ve never noticed this before on the neck up by the mouth on this 223 brass. I’ve found about 5 of them out around 1k range pickups. Is this a certain type of crimp or? What’s the purpose. Is it good to go?

I've used them.I believe it is a crimp witness mark. Did not see any bad effect,certainly would not want to use for match loads but worked fine for plinkers.

I've used them.I believe it is a crimp witness mark. Did not see any bad effect,certainly would not want to use for match loads but worked fine for plinkers.

Yeah I just load for plinking from mixed range pickups. I’m going to process them and load em up. I was really just curious. I’ve shot a ton of different types of 223/5.55 brass and had never seen that... or rather noticed it.

Well that blows my theory. It almost looks like the case mouth was pinched into the chambers throat when fired peening the very end of the neck.
Well that blows my theory. It almost looks like the case mouth was pinched into the chambers throat when fired peening the very end of the neck.

I originally thought kind of the same thing.

Yeah I just load for plinking from mixed range pickups. I’m going to process them and load em up. I was really just curious. I’ve shot a ton of different types of 223/5.55 brass and had never seen that... or rather noticed it.
I think it is just a really heavy factory collet type crimp. I didn't like the look of it but no issues.

Back
Top Bottom