• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weird air conditioning problem, any AC guys on here?

Never heard of that before but I'll have to check it out. I appreciate the tip. Wouldn't that drain the freon though? The system doesn't leak at all and it's been about 4 months since I had it charged.
You would know it if the blow off valve burped. You lose enough freon to affect the systems ability to cool. So it would be obvious. My honda burped it out twice. Both on very hot days when the high side got higher than high. Pretty sure I had a weak valve too.

If you happen to pass through the south side, Id throw my gauges on for you.

So a few months ago I rebuilt the air conditioning system on my Honda Accord. New compressor, accumulator, expansion valve, o-rings, and condenser. I filled it with the correct amount of PAG oil and then had it professionally evacuated and recharged. It works great now and blows very cold. However sometimes when the compressor turns on at 2-3000rpm it makes a really weird howling/whistling/squealing noise. The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like a midget is inside the glove box f***ing a goose with a kazoo. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the expansion valve on the evaporator core. It's like when it releases freon with the engine turning at a certain RPM there is some kind of a harmonic resonance reverberating through the lines. It only does it some of the time and if I push in the clutch and let the engine go to idle it immediately goes away. WTF is going on here?
LMFAO

I suppose overcharging is a possibility but I really doubt it. I took it to a shop and had it done with their professional equipment. It's a very good shop too, the only one that I let work on my vehicles for the few things that I can't do myself. Both the radiator and the condenser fans are functioning properly.

If you want to come up, I'll be happy to hook it to the machine and see whats going on. I'm 15 minutes from exit 285

Back
Top Bottom