• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weird air conditioning problem, any AC guys on here?

Final guess would be expansion orifice partially blocked

If the expansion valve was blocked I don't think the AC would work as well as it does. It turns the interior into a meat locker, even in traffic.

I'm wondering if maybe I didn't put that rubber insulation back over the copper tubing well enough.

The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like a midget is inside the glove box f***ing a goose with a kazoo.
Is the midget actually doing the ****ing while playing a kazoo? Or is the midget using the kazoo as a sex toy? Details are important during the diagnostic phase.

On the back or bottom of the compressor there is a pressure relief valve look at it and see if it’s oily, if so that’s the source of your noise, you are building to much head pressure and it is releasing, possible cause would be an overcharge,restriction or a bad pressure sensor no shutting the clutch off

On the back or bottom of the compressor there is a pressure relief valve look at it and see if it’s oily, if so that’s the source of your noise, you are building to much head pressure and it is releasing, possible cause would be an overcharge,restriction or a bad pressure sensor no shutting the clutch off

Never heard of that before but I'll have to check it out. I appreciate the tip. Wouldn't that drain the freon though? The system doesn't leak at all and it's been about 4 months since I had it charged.

Never heard of that before but I'll have to check it out. I appreciate the tip. Wouldn't that drain the freon though? The system doesn't leak at all and it's been about 4 months since I had it charged.
It will drain it in very small increments, just enough to relieve the pressure. Dodge products were notorious for it, fan would quit working head pressure builds up at a stop and then on accelerate walla midget ****ing a duck while blowing a kazoo. I know the noise well. Could be the expansion valve but that’s usually more of a hiss or like air brakes releasing.

I suppose overcharging is a possibility but I really doubt it. I took it to a shop and had it done with their professional equipment. It's a very good shop too, the only one that I let work on my vehicles for the few things that I can't do myself. Both the radiator and the condenser fans are functioning properly.
Reputable shops overcharge ac systems all the time. Usually happens with an error in conversion, most machines charge in lbs or kg. Most import vehicles have charge labels in kg or ounces sometimes techs get the conversion wrong.

Back
Top Bottom