• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wear your eye protection....

I just wish my eyeglasses were virus-resistant. (shingles virus)

What’s ironic about mine is that my eye actually wasn’t hurt at all. The orbital socket was shattered, and bone fragments and shrapnel shot behind my eye damaging the optic nerve. They had to remove the eye in order to prevent going blind in the other eye. Thankfully it was my non-dominant (left) eye that was injured. The only thing I was worried about was whether or not I it would negatively affect my shooting. It turned out good, I’m actually better now than I was before.

Eric

What’s ironic about mine is that my eye actually wasn’t hurt at all. The orbital socket was shattered, and bone fragments and shrapnel shot behind my eye damaging the optic nerve. They had to remove the eye in order to prevent going blind in the other eye. Thankfully it was my non-dominant (left) eye that was injured. The only thing I was worried about was whether or not I it would negatively affect my shooting. It turned out good, I’m actually better now than I was before.
Eric
I had a virus attack the blood vessels feeding the retina. By the time they got the virus cleaned out, my retina "looked like a moth-eaten sweater".
Because the eye had suddenly lost pressure, they filled it with silicone oil. Would have had to have it removed if it stayed low. Still oil filled, but now with a cataract from the oil. Doctor has to use sonogram to check inside.
It's my right, so it does effect rifle shooting. I tried left-handed, which is ok, but I prefer right. I tried an optic/scope, and that works as long as the stock isn't too high.
I don't really know which eye was dominant. I'd shoot pistol with either, even switching up (not always consciously).
Biggest adjustment for me was (and is) driving. I'm used to knowing everything around me. Not seeing out the right window without turning my head all the way is tiring. I've added mirrors looking out each window, and a rear-view camera, which help.

Back in the day I was learning to build guitars, in class, one guy I was helping route the binding channel on his guitar body. Handed him the proper bit and told him to put it in the router. He did, only he only finger tightened it.....didn't use a wrench. Fired that thing up, it spun up to 35,000ish RPM and that bit went a flyin. Hit a steel cabinet a few feet away, going right between two other students in the process. Went through the steel wall of the cabinet. Stay safe out there people!!!!!!!!!

Eric
Im thankful for your service sir and grateful you survived your ordeal.

Back
Top Bottom