We work on more than AR's. Interesting shotgun mod.

Because the front sight is pinned to the “front nub” with a horizontal pin. First pic above shows the pin.

Additionally, leaving that piece in place gives added protection to the front sight. I was trying to make it as rugged as possible. If I did it the way you asked, how would I attach the front or middle of the sight to the barrel?
Why not just drill another hole in the barrel? Similar to the hole for the vent rib?

Why not just drill another hole in the barrel? Similar to the hole for the vent rib?

1. The barrel is MUCH thinner than the shank for the vent rib, so it would not be as secure. The vent rib has multiple connection points, and is soldered in place. Like I said, I did not want to solder or weld the new front sight. It’s tritium and we wanted it to be easily replaceable.

2. The barrel is threaded for chokes. This means that the barrel under the front sight is even thinner than it would normally be, as cutting the threads removed metal. Also, I wouldn’t want a pin or screw protruding down into the threads for the choke. That wouldn’t be good.

We gave this a lot of thought……we didn’t just slap it together. We looked at a lot of the innovative sight modifications that Vang Comp has been doing, and came up with something on our own that fit our criteria. The owner had input in the design, and is more than happy with the results.

1. The barrel is MUCH thinner than the shank for the vent rib, so it would not be as secure. The vent rib has multiple connection points, and is soldered in place. Like I said, I did not want to solder or weld the new front sight. It’s tritium and we wanted it to be easily replaceable.

2. The barrel is threaded for chokes. This means that the barrel under the front sight is even thinner than it would normally be, as cutting the threads removed metal. Also, I wouldn’t want a pin or screw protruding down into the threads for the choke. That wouldn’t be good.

We gave this a lot of thought……we didn’t just slap it together. We looked at a lot of the innovative sight modifications that Vang Comp has been doing, and came up with something on our own that fit our criteria. The owner had input in the design, and is more than happy with the results.
I figured as much with 1 & 2 and as long as the owner is happy, you've done your job. :thumb:

I get it. It's practical and solid. I just don't like a vent rib on anything but a bird gun. Personal choice.

It’s a rock solid, mechanical installation, when the only other option was soldering/welding…….which I’m not a fan of.

With an Aridus rear sight, it gives a great sight picture.
I had my front sight soldered on my 12” 870. The front sight is somewhere down range, lost forever, after the second shot

I love the look of a VR on a tactical shotgun. It was old school, then it died off, now it’s coming back.

20210731_214149.jpg

Back
Top Bottom