• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Waypoints of Structures on Lake Lanier Wanted

partsman

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Cowboy Action Shooter
117   0
Reaction score
Now that I am retired I bought a used boat and started fishing on Lake Lanier earlier this year. I upgraded the electronics on the boat to a Garmin Echomap Plus 73SV sonar/gps unit. I am getting the hang of reading the charts and the navigation has one foot contours of the lake. My prior fishing experience back in the day as a teenager was on small farm ponds. Needless to say, Lake Lanier is huge in comparison and to be successful you need to locate structures often in 20+ feet of water where the fish hangout. To speed up the process, I an looking for a source that might have a list with GPS coordinates for the structures (brush piles, stump fields, timber, rock piles, roadbeds, etc.) that would be available in a format that I can import to my Garmin unit. Any leads or suggestions are welcome.

I would go to creeks and follow channels,people put trees on edges and find them.if you have side scan mark them,and then go back over them and mark them with down imaging it should get you a better mark.there are a lot of different places that hold fish—-ditches,drop offs,follow points out a lot of times they will go to a channel,high spots,under water islands. If you see rocks around shoreline there are some in the water.good luck

every point on Lanier has brush on it start at 35 feet and go toward shore,you will see it.Old roadbeds same thing.Rock piles in Big Creek,ditches off the islands.

Thanks for the response. I found a printed source of Lake Lanier underwater structures on the topographical maps issued by Atlantic Mapping and sold by fishing shops around Lanier. They published two GPS maps, one for the South and one for the North part of the lake. I was able to locate and purchase both. For those that might be interested, the supply of the maps is getting low since they are no longer being printed. The good folks at Hammonds Fishing Center told me they had purchased all the Lanier maps that the publisher had left in stock. After that supply runs out they will be no more.

I have entered the GPS coordinates of structures (ruins, roads, bridges, culverts, humps, etc.) listed on the maps into an Excel spreadsheet. I understand that it is possible to upload the data into my Garmin chartplotter/sonar unit. I have got to do some further research into the steps needed to transfer the data. If successful, this would give me a head start and I will be able to supplement those waypoints with items I identify while using the sonar on the lake. If anyone has any experience with transferring waypoints data electronically, I would welcome the feedback.

Now that I am retired I bought a used boat and started fishing on Lake Lanier earlier this year. I upgraded the electronics on the boat to a Garmin Echomap Plus 73SV sonar/gps unit. I am getting the hang of reading the charts and the navigation has one foot contours of the lake. My prior fishing experience back in the day as a teenager was on small farm ponds. Needless to say, Lake Lanier is huge in comparison and to be successful you need to locate structures often in 20+ feet of water where the fish hangout. To speed up the process, I an looking for a source that might have a list with GPS coordinates for the structures (brush piles, stump fields, timber, rock piles, roadbeds, etc.) that would be available in a format that I can import to my Garmin unit. Any leads or suggestions are welcome.

Once my leg heals up (broken and had surgery rod/screws), I can meet you out there and we can compare notes. I have a 19' CC and usually launch at the dam OR up Van Pugh.

Probably won't be till March, however.

Once my leg heals up (broken and had surgery rod/screws), I can meet you out there and we can compare notes. I have a 19' CC and usually launch at the dam OR up Van Pugh.

Probably won't be till March, however.

Thanks for the offer. Lanier is a large lake and one that takes some effort to learn how best to fish.

Back
Top Bottom