water storage question

CTY

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
23   0
Reaction score
When using new food grade water storage containers,(55 gallon) is it necessary to clean them prior to storing water long term? Keep in mind the containers will be new (nothing ever stored in them).

My understanding is that they should be washed out with dish detergent and then a mild bleach solution. To me that is just common sense whether the manufacturer recommends it or not. If I bought a new set of pots and pans from Walmart, I would sure wash them before cooking dinner in them.

Believe it needs to be old-fashioned bleach. I've heard the scented and 'color-safe' bleaches contain chemicals harmful for consumption, at least check it out.

A company that I built up & sold 11 years ago still sells them I believe. We were/ they are a large distributor of rigid packaging products to a wide variety of industries.

We were selling F.D.A. approved 55 gal. drums to individuals for around $38-40 F.O.B. Dalton,Ga.

At that time we had 5, 15, 30, 55, 275, & 330 gallon containers to pick from... don't forget water is approx. 8 lbs. per gallon.

My old companies name is Southern Container & their number is 706-277-6144.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom