• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Wanting to get into reloading

Cosmo

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
11   0
Reaction score
This has probably been covered before, but with the exception of actually cleaning brass in a tumbler I am more or less clueless. Is it possible I can get a list of hardware needed to get started reloading say 9mm and 5.56 and 308. I tried looking over some reloading supplies places but I see all of these different dies and such and am just beyond confused. Thanks for any help!

Try the sticky: Metalic Cartridge Reloading for the New Guy at the top of the reloading section. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/116921-Metallic-Cartridge-Reloading-for-the-New-Guy
Yes this question has been asked a few times but still lots of guys here to help out a newbie.

There is a difference between reloading straight wall cases and necked cases. Also there are some nuances with loading high power rifle that are important. When unsure or confused post a help me thread and sure enough someone will come along to assist you.

Welcome to the group.

Last edited:
Well, there are 4 components of ammunition. The brass, primer, powder, and bullet. The dies are the tools mounted on the press that assemble the ammo. THey do the actual work and are caliber specific. You need a priming tool, to put the primer in the brass, a powder measurer, a scale to measure the powder, calipers to measure the length of your casings and ammunition, a press, and dies. There are some great videos on youtube that show the whole process, and that can really help you understand what all happens and what you need.

I always suggest a few things for the novice to do before jumping into the reloading business or buying components!
1) buy yourself a reloading manual and read it--several times!!
most do a pretty good job of explaining the basics and needs.
Lee reloading manual, A-B-C's of reloading , Lyman manual are three very good starter books that can be used when and if you do start relaoding.
2) see if you can find a friend /mentor to help you along!
as this a regional forum i would think that someone near you might be available as a mentor.

This has probably been covered before, but with the exception of actually cleaning brass in a tumbler I am more or less clueless. Is it possible I can get a list of hardware needed to get started reloading say 9mm and 5.56 and 308. I tried looking over some reloading supplies places but I see all of these different dies and such and am just beyond confused. Thanks for any help!

I agree with RamRoddoc, that is a very good overview. For the rifle calibers that you have listed I am almost positive that they will be shot out of semi-autos, right? If so I recommend getting a small base sizer die for both. The small base will size the brass to minimum specs allowing it to feed better in your auto loader. The drawback will be lowered brass life. You may only get 3 reloads out of the brass. For the 9mm I have had very good luck with Lee's Carbide Dies, no lube involved, just place and press. There are other manufacturers of carbide dies but they can't touch Lees cost with quality, IMO!

Back
Top Bottom