• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wait, Now People are Wanting Copies of Driver’s Licenses or Carry License IN ADVANCE??

I just asked a guy in a pm if he was legal to own and a Ga resident once and damn if he didn’t send me a pic of his drivers license. I’m thinking WTF man, I didn’t ask for that and I sure as hell ain’t sending you a pic of mine!

I just asked a guy in a pm if he was legal to own and a Ga resident once and damn if he didn’t send me a pic of his drivers license. I’m thinking WTF man, I didn’t ask for that and I sure as hell ain’t sending you a pic of mine!
Had similar happen, seller sent me his DL pic... I wanted to educate him a bit... but I wanted what he was selling too and didnt want to put the guy off!

You probably insist in protect your privacy and that's fine, I'm trying to cover my butt but also I'm trying to understand why is wrong to protect yourself in case of something happen, besides, that's the reason I'm asking for your advice here guys, if I ask for advice is wrong, and if I ask for a bill of sale I'm paranoid.

As mentioned above, a BOS does nothing to cover your butt, which doesn't need covering in the first place. As long as you had no reason to believe you were selling to a prohibited person you are legally fine.

And as you no doubt figured out, asking for a BOS will get you a lot of ridicule around here...

Although a BOS doesn’t prove anything, it can be helpful if ATF comes knocking on your door. It won’t relieve you of any liability, but it might cut down on their harassment.

Not sure how. If the ATF wants to know who you sold it to they can just as easily look up the PM trail and get ODT to forward the users information. Although that's just as likely to be faked as a BOS is if you are talking someone who's prohibited or selling to them.

The thing people also need to remember is that you don't HAVE to sell someone a gun if they show up and you're seeing red flags.

I've backed out of two sales that had too many issues. While you may have the legal right to sell to anyone who you think is legal, I personally feel you also have a duty to use common sense in the transaction as well.

I told both of them I wasn't comfortable with the sale, and if they wanted to give me negative feedback to go ahead. Neither one did and both those user IDs were gone within a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom