• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

VW Mechanic/Hobbyist Needed

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I have a 73 VW MGTD Kit car. The engine has a slight leakage problem. Does anyone know of someone in the Gwinnett area who can replace the gaskets, or has a replacement engine?

Thanks,

Darren

I have a 73 VW MGTD Kit car. The engine has a slight leakage problem. Does anyone know of someone in the Gwinnett area who can replace the gaskets, or has a replacement engine?

Thanks,

Darren
I used to play with these for years. I am now an aircraft mechanic. Similar engine In the general aviation air cooled engines.

you need to figure out where it is leaking. 3 obvious choices: valve cover gasket, push rod tube, or crankcase. Less obvious might be the oil cooler.

The valve cover gasket is an easy fix. The push rod tubes can be replaced with spring loaded aftermarket replacements without removing the head. If it is the crankcase It heads into a split the case, might as well do an overhaul. If I remember correctly the oil cooler has 2 O-rings that are crushed in place with the 3 bolts that hold the oil cooler on. The oil cooler is behind cylinder #3 closest to the driver and you can drop the engine or remove the alternator and cooling shroud to get access.

I remember back in the day they used to have contests at BUG -IN’s to see which team could remove a VW engine from a a Street legal VW on jacks. They had to remove the engine and drag the engine 10 feet across a line and reinstall the engine back to street legal (off jacks).

if I remember correctly the winning times were completely ridiculous at less than 8 minutes!

my buddy Ashton is a porshce and volkswagen hyper nerd. He owns a powdercoating shop in Covington, Flower Shop Powder Coating. You can reach out to him im sure he will take the work. (470) 989-3109

Back
Top Bottom