• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

VERRY ODD QUESTION

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
The nearest house to me is about 75 yards. I say that because you will understand in a minute. The next is about 100 in the direction I am looking at. The other day I saw a monster Coyote chasing one of my little buddies. My red furred ground hogs. Now they don't bother me the ground hog that is because they reside in a big Kudzu patch. I enjoy sitting on the deck with the tiki torches burning watching them forage around. We actually have a long Spring and Fall here so I get good use of the porch. I like my little yard animals.

Now that is established the yote is a problem and now that he had found a potential food source he will be revisiting. There are neighbors cats and chickens close by as well. Now the guy I mentioned that had the Chinese AK-47 just steps outside and shoots them with a 410. My luck doesnt run that good so I am going to take a different approach. I have a window on the side of the house where the yote hunts. I wanted to set up inside and leave it there until I need it. My main concern is how much sound will travel outside that room with a 22 mag. I know it will be muffled a little but just wondered if anybody had experience with it. I don't want the neighbors complaining about rifle fire. The other guy has been here for 50 years so they probably give him a pass because of the age. Like I said I haven't been here that long and don't want to draw attention to myself while disposing of a potential dangerous animal. Can anybody help out the window will be open about 10 inches. No muzzle break just straight barrel with target crown so I not going to get any meddagation from side ports.

I know it's a odd and not to often asked question. I would use the 6.8 but that damn thing is like a tank blast. Will there be a huge blast coming from the window. Again open 10 inches and shooting 8 feet from window.

boom.gif

If you've got a house 100 yards away in the direction you'd be shooting, then "noise" isn't the big problem here. Safety is. What if you miss or just graze the 'yote's body instead of placing that bullet right into its chest?

As for noise, I have no experience being outside while shooting gun out partially-open windows. I've DONE IT, being the shooter myself, and I "think" (guess) that it would make the noise significantly less to the neighbors, but I can't say for sure.

What I can say, FOR CERTAIN, is that a .22 LR with "subsonic" ammo, fired from a rifle-length barrel, is MUCH QUIETER than a .22 WMR, which will always be supersonic. Can you pop this coyote thru that window with a 40-grain lead HP moving at only 1050 feet/ second? Can you hit the animal's heart? Or, if you just perfortated its lungs and it would take a few minutes to choke to death, would that be an unacceptable ending for a coyote?

most of the noise will get out if you are within 10 feet of the opening.
Put a 2 liter coke bottle on the end of the barrel and it'll muffle the first 3 or 4 shots till the bottom is shot out.
cut a notch for the front sight, slide it on put a hose clamp on behind the sight and tape it till its sealed to the barrel.

The supersonic crack follows the bullet, so even though the report from the barrel may be muffled some, it will still sound like a rifle to your neighbors.

I'd use SV 22lr, and get a good shot.

If you've got a house 100 yards away in the direction you'd be shooting, then "noise" isn't the big problem here. Safety is. What if you miss or just graze the 'yote's body instead of placing that bullet right into its chest?

As for noise, I have no experience being outside while shooting gun out partially-open windows. I've DONE IT, being the shooter myself, and I "think" (guess) that it would make the noise significantly less to the neighbors, but I can't say for sure.

What I can say, FOR CERTAIN, is that a .22 LR with "subsonic" ammo, fired from a rifle-length barrel, is MUCH QUIETER than a .22 WMR, which will always be supersonic. Can you pop this coyote thru that window with a 40-grain lead HP moving at only 1050 feet/ second? Can you hit the animal's heart? Or, if you just perfortated its lungs and it would take a few minutes to choke to death, would that be an unacceptable ending for a coyote?
It way up the hill. It's a steep hill with a massive fallen tree as a back drop. This tree is 4 houses long and the diameter of a Volkswagen beetle at the root base. The bullet getting to that house is virtually impossible. It would be a 100 yard shooting berm with a massive hard wood tree 10 feet behind and above where I would be shooting. The house sits on top of the 100 yard shooting berm.

Back
Top Bottom