• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Venison jerky recipes

I cheat and take mine to Dormineys Processing in Carnesville. By far the very best jerky made. I don't know what his marinate is but he doesn't dehydrate, he uses a smoke house. Best I ever had.

Turned out awesome. Might have gone a little crazy with the black pepper, but I love black pepper. Marinating in a thick teriyaki glaze makes the honey or syrup unnecessary. There is so much spice stuck to the final product I am having to flick it off.

Got another ham and two backstraps left. What next. Burned out on Dales. Everybody uses it and not sparingly enough. I want to smoke some, but keeping the egg @ 160° might be a challenge.

I use soy sauce (main liquid), a little Worcestershire, garlic powder, dash of salt, and lots of black pepper. Let is steep in the fridge about a day or so. Put toothpicks on one end and hang 'em on the overn rack with tin foil-lined baking sheet below. Bake on low for a few hours. I do not know if they keep well over a week, because they are always gone by then. Family and buddies eat them up.

I like that idea of honey, will have to try that.

Finished up my second batch last night. Cut a lot thicker and marinaded in the Publix version of Dale's. Didn't add anything to the marinade this time, just wanted to see how it tasted on it's own. The dehydrator instructions say to bake it at 160 for 30 minutes for wild game, so it ended up being about 6 hours in the dehydrator plus the 30 minutes in the oven.

Results are outstanding. Great flavor and I like the meatier chunks this time. May try some honey or something sweet next time, but just on it's own, this is a solid flavor, I think.

Thanks for the tips...got plenty of meat still in the freezer, so lots of experimenting to do!

Back
Top Bottom