• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vehicle guns, how many have them and leave them in the vehicle

Do you have assigned car/truck/boat/camper guns in your vehicles, and leave em in

• Yes,

Votes: 43 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 46 36.2%
  • I live in a big crime ridden city so I cannot

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • No I do not believe in it, too dangerous

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • Tacos

Votes: 20 15.7%

• Total voters
P.S. The "USCCA and your attorney" are wrong about this too:

"In a vehicle you do not own, you must have the permission of the person who has legal control of the vehicle."

You don't need permission to carry in a friend's car.
It is sufficient that they have never instructed you not to carry in their car.
This law cross references the criminal trespass law, so if you've never been given a type of criminal trespass notice that you are not to be in your friend's car while packing...
...you're good to go.

Silence does not equal notice that you are not welcome here with your gun.
Not for cars, businesses, nor restaurants.

See OCGA 16-11-126 (d).

Part of the extention of your home argument came down from parents dropping off and picking up their kids from school, and technically having a weapon on a school campus.

"First , what can you do without a weapons license? In Georgia, you can purchase a firearm, transport it in your car, and keep it inside your home and business without a license. While the law previously stated that a gun must be kept in the trunk or enclosed glove box or closed console of your car, that law has been relaxed over recent legislative periods. You can now treat your car as an extension of your house and business and keep the loaded firearm anywhere in the vehicle."

You'd be amazed at the leo folks out there that dont the rules about this.

I'm not going to argue with you, But I will trust the USCCA and my attorney on this.

Can You Have a Loaded Gun in Your Car in Georgia?​

Yes, any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry it in his or her vehicle (owned or rented by you). In a vehicle you do not own, you must have the permission of the person who has legal control of the vehicle.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/georgia-gun-laws-what-you-should-know/
Nowhere does that say your automobile is an extension of your home.

Doesn't say it any where else either except in the flotsam of the internet.

P.S. The "USCCA and your attorney" are wrong about this too:

"In a vehicle you do not own, you must have the permission of the person who has legal control of the vehicle."

You don't need permission to carry in a friend's car.
It is sufficient that they have never instructed you not to carry in their car.
This law cross references the criminal trespass law, so if you've never been given a type of criminal trespass notice that you are not to be in your friend's car while packing...
...you're good to go.

Silence does not equal notice that you are not welcome here with your gun.
Not for cars, businesses, nor restaurants.

See OCGA 16-11-126 (d).
Wait, wait, they read it on the internet, how can it not be true?

I though your vehicle was considered an extension of your home in Ga....

Try this little experiment..

Next time you are driving, and you get pulled over for any violation, roll down the window real quick like and yell, "you can't search my car without a warrant because it's an extension of my home,"

Let us know how that works out.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-3/article-2/16-3-23
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-3/article-2/16-3-24/

You can argue your vehicle is a habitation because you are inhabiting it while you are inside it and it is private property.

Try this little experiment..

Next time you are driving, and you get pulled over for any violation, roll down the window real quick like and yell, "you can't search my car without a warrant because it's an extension of my home,"

Let us know how that works out.
They cant without probable cause, permission, or a warrant. There is a little bugger called the 4th amendment that protects you from unlawful search and seizure. If someone enters your vehicle without authorization that is trespassing because it is private property.

yes it does if you know where to look​

Georgia Code Title 16. Crimes and Offenses § 16-11-126​

Current as of April 14, 2021 | Updated by FindLaw Staff

Search Georgia Code​

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

yes it does if you know where to look​

Georgia Code Title 16. Crimes and Offenses § 16-11-126​

Current as of April 14, 2021 | Updated by FindLaw Staff

Search Georgia Code​

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

Really? So you see the words "extension of your home" there.

Re-read GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet post.

You are taking one EXCEPTION to the law about firearms, and making a global statement that "your automobile is an extension of your home" which is not the law.

What the law IS, IS the Georgia legislature has created laws on where and how you may carry a firearm, and those for your home, place of business and automobile are similar. They are similar because the legislature has made rules for each category, not because any one is an "extension" of the other.

You can have a firearm in your automobile because the legislature says you can.

An 18 yr. old can have and own a handgun in his home or place of business, but he can't carry it as a passenger in an automobile - which he could do if the automobile were an "extension of his home,"

[

6+

t

You can argue your vehicle is a habitation because you are inhabiting it while you are inside it and it is private property.

They cant [search] without probable cause, permission, or a warrant. There is a little bugger called the 4th amendment that protects you from unlawful search and seizure.

The fact that you recognize a warrantless search can be done on a motor vehicle out on the roads based only on "probable cause,

whereas "probable cause" PLUS a warrant (that was issued based on the magistrate judge agreeing that there is probable cause) is needed for cops to search a house...

... shows that you DO understand that the law does not treat your car as an extension of your home.

Back
Top Bottom