• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Van Halen Dead

He was way beyond good to say the least. But just to ME the best guitar player ever is still David Gilmour.

Gilmour is also in a league of his own for sure. When you hear Gilmour playing he has a uniquely one of a kind sound as well. The rock world will also be in deep mourning when he passes away as well. One of my greatest regrets was not going with my brother to see Pink Floyd play (sans Waters) when they were at Bobby Dodd stadium. I think it was the division bell tour if I recall.

But today, the rock world is mourning for the one and only EVH. :rockon:

I saw them in the mid 90's at Lakewood 5th row Sammy was still lead singer great show. I could only score 4 tickets but we got about 10 more of our friends down from the lawn by one taking the other three tickets up and getting them past the usher.

VERY funny story about the MTV contest The MTV Lost Weekend with Van Halen. I remember when this was going on but didn't know until recently what actually happened to the guy that won.

Promo

The story

For better or for worse, I can say I got to see Van Halen under each lead singer. Too young to see them with Roth during the early years but saw them twice with Hagar, once with Gary Cherone, and three times with Roth on the most recent tours. Loved them all!! (Yes, even with Cherone, lol!)

I saw them in the mid 90's at Lakewood 5th row Sammy was still lead singer great show. I could only score 4 tickets but we got about 10 more of our friends down from the lawn by one taking the other three tickets up and getting them past the usher.

I saw them in the late 80s in the omni. Great show.

I don't think any rock musician is the best ever at any instrument, but it is all subjective, I suppose.

EVH was a pioneer of a sound that a crap load of guys tried to copy. Imitation is flattery. For a decade he was probably the most influential guitar player in the world. He is one of the very few at the tip top of a heap of rock players. He deserves all the credit he has received.

I don't care if I take heat for it, but I liked VH better with Sammy. They made better music, IMO. Of course Sammy has a lot more musical talent than Dave, so no surprise their music was more, well, musical.

The end of an era. Sad to hear the news.

There's a little truth in that comment. And I may be a little biased here. I read Dave's bio years ago. And one part of it comes to mind. When Dave met the VH brothers Eddie was constan9playing these masterpiece complicated pieces he had written. And Dave had to tell him at one point " Yeah man that's really impressive work. But you can't dance to it."
So the point was that Dave kinda steered Eddie in a more mainstream direction that wound up making them all very successful. So just to ME it looked like a 50/50 proposition . It could've played out with Eddie being a studio musician that most folks never heard of if Dave hadn't gotten him to loosen up a little and write the non stop party music that was Van Halen. It COULD have... Not saying it would have.
Yeah good point. Dave was the personality of the band and so was Sammy

Back
Top Bottom