• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Van Halen Dead

There's a little truth in that comment. And I may be a little biased here. I read Dave's bio years ago. And one part of it comes to mind. When Dave met the VH brothers Eddie was constan9playing these masterpiece complicated pieces he had written. And Dave had to tell him at one point " Yeah man that's really impressive work. But you can't dance to it."
So the point was that Dave kinda steered Eddie in a more mainstream direction that wound up making them all very successful. So just to ME it looked like a 50/50 proposition . It could've played out with Eddie being a studio musician that most folks never heard of if Dave hadn't gotten him to loosen up a little and write the non stop party music that was Van Halen. It COULD have... Not saying it would have.

Much credit also has to go to Michael Anthony. He's one of the best harmony singers/bass players in rock n roll history. He had a LOT to do with the overall sound of VH. I have to wonder if they would have made it so far without him...He may be the most underrated bass player of all time.

I don't think any rock musician is the best ever at any instrument, but it is all subjective, I suppose.

EVH was a pioneer of a sound that a crap load of guys tried to copy. Imitation is flattery. For a decade he was probably the most influential guitar player in the world. He is one of the very few at the tip top of a heap of rock players. He deserves all the credit he has received.

I don't care if I take heat for it, but I liked VH better with Sammy. They made better music, IMO. Of course Sammy has a lot more musical talent than Dave, so no surprise their music was more, well, musical.

The end of an era. Sad to hear the news.

Agreed.

Reactions: MRH
I don't think any rock musician is the best ever at any instrument, but it is all subjective, I suppose.

EVH was a pioneer of a sound that a crap load of guys tried to copy. Imitation is flattery. For a decade he was probably the most influential guitar player in the world. He is one of the very few at the tip top of a heap of rock players. He deserves all the credit he has received.

I don't care if I take heat for it, but I liked VH better with Sammy. They made better music, IMO. Of course Sammy has a lot more musical talent than Dave, so no surprise their music was more, well, musical.

The end of an era. Sad to hear the news.
I agree with you on Sammy. I think 5150 and OU812 their best records. Just look at my user name

Much credit also has to go to Michael Anthony. He's one of the best harmony singers/bass players in rock n roll history. He had a LOT to do with the overall sound of VH. I have to wonder if they would have made it so far without him...He may be the most underrated bass player of all time.
I agree there. His work really stands out on VH2 especially the beginning of You're No Good. But again I have to point out how petty Eddie was. In recent years Michael had been hanging out ( I believe in Cabo) with Sammy. And since Eddie hated Sammy more in recent years than he did Dave he gave Michael the boot. Real insecure petty guy.

I agree with you on Sammy. I think 5150 and OU812 their best records. Just look at my user name
Both albums had their moments but I don't see how you can compare them to VH1 VH2 or Fair Warning. And don't get me wrong I like Sammy. Heavy Metal, Three Lock Box etc.His work with Montrose ...

Back
Top Bottom