• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

USPSA ~ Newbie ~ Gun Decisions...

There is a guy here but I can't seem to find his name good enough to tag him. It's something along the lines of pewpewpatrick. I don't know him personally but I know he shoots a lot of different tournaments. I have chatted with him on here some and he is very helpful and generous. Even offered to let me try some of his gear to see what I would like. Seemed like a stand up guy.
pistolpat pistolpat

Don’t waste time worrying about the gear. Shoot what you have and are familiar with for the first few months. You are not going to be competitive for some time, unless you have time and money for training and shooting several matches per week if you have a lot of money burning a hole in your wallet buy a P320 X5 legion. You will not outgrow it for a year or two. If you decide you want to start shooting optics that Is an option without buying a new gun.
There are a couple of good matches around the Kennesaw area. GFL is a good group of guys to shoot with.
One thing overlooked is the holster setup cost. It could be $600 or more for 6 magazines, 4 mag holders and a holster for each gun you change to. If you buy 3 kits your first year you could afford a decent gun.

I like RedHillTactical holsters and blade tech mag holders for a good basic setup.

Hurry up and get involved, you will wish you started earlier.

There are several modest shooters on here that can give you great advice once you get started. I am not very fast or accurate but one of the best PCC shooters I have ever seen is on this thread.

I'm very interested in shooting USPSA matches...currently researching some guns that I can use specifically for USPSA. I've had an eye on the Walther Q5 Match (polymer), but it seems like finding magazines for it isn't the easiest (or the gun for that matter). My other (and probably what I'm leaning towards) is a Glock 17 or 34 and/or Sig P320 Legion X...

I keep going back to the Glock's because I could get one at a decent price and build it up. I want to run an optic, so will need to be MOS. If it was your dollar would you get the Glock 17 and build it up or the Glock 34 with some enhancements and further build on that?
Echoing what others have said here if you currently have a fullsize gun, holster, and a few mags just start hitting up some locals. River Bend, Cherokee, and South River will be the big outdoor monthlies.

You won't go wrong with either the Sig or Glock for carry optics. Just pick what you like best. I will say that for a dot gun I don't think you get much of any advantage with a 34 over a 17.

I shot CZs for years in Production and have X5 Legions and 34s setup for CO.

Back
Top Bottom