• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

USMC 1943 Knife

Jackie Graham

Eagle Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
673   0
Reaction score
OK I need an honest opinion on the value of this knife. It was my uncle's and he used it in WWII on Iwo Jima. It has the original scabbard, the leather bands on the handle have shrunk so there are visible gaps between them. He passed away in September and the family would like to know what it is worth.

Any help is appreciated.
20171208_152829.jpg

It is a blade marked, blade dated 1943 M-3 trench knife... The Mfg info is stamped on the blade also... Need a better close up of that... The handle is made of compressed leather washers... Then the grooves were cut into the leather... It appears to be in its original leather scabbard... Need more pics to determine condition and maker... If there is a lot of soft rotten leather, that diminishes value appreciably... Last mint unissued one I sold several years ago, went for a grand... This one considerably less...

If there is any documentation supporting that this knife was used in Iwo Jima then that will dramatically increase value. Documentation would have to me pretty solid though something on the lines of picture of your uncle with the knife in Iwo Jima and a certified letter from him that this is the knife he used there.

I enlarged the pic and I can't make out the entire name but it is stamped KINXXX INC between the M3 and 1943 on the blade. I looked on e-bay but did not see any like this one.

If there is any documentation supporting that this knife was used in Iwo Jima then that will dramatically increase value. Documentation would have to me pretty solid though something on the lines of picture of your uncle with the knife in Iwo Jima and a certified letter from him that this is the knife he used there.
The only documentation is what was passed by word of mouth. He showed me this knife in the past and said that he used it to kill some Nips with it. He was also interview by the local news paper a few years ago and told them some of his war stories. I don't think that there are any official documents supporting these statements.

Back
Top Bottom