Used scopes, what's really a fair price usually?

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
161   1
Reaction score
For the guy that gets a gun / scope package but hates that 4-12x50 or other scope that takes super tall rings that give you chin weld instead of cheak weld...what is usually a fair selling price. Is there a rule of thumb or is it highly dependant on the scope, what's currently in vogue, etc?

I'm specifically thinking about a Nikon Buckmasters 4-12x50 w/side focus in dang near new condition. New on SWFA they go for $359.

Hope you guys that buy and sell often can be serious for a post or two before this goes south. ***grin***

OK since everyone appears to be indifferent or not willing to answer, I being the anal type thought "Hey we have a whole forum full of examples" So this takes a bit of time and there is some room for error in matching the exact scope, but it appears that some don't shop around before buying...

If this is of any value to anyone else and not considered price bashing by our mods...see my first few compares... Capture.JPG

OK since everyone appears to be indifferent or not willing to answer, I being the anal type thought "Hey we have a whole forum full of examples" So this takes a bit of time and there is some room for error in matching the exact scope, but it appears that some don't shop around before buying...

If this is of any value to anyone else and not considered price bashing by our mods...see my first few compares...View attachment 75411

Sounds about right.

For the guy that gets a gun / scope package but hates that 4-12x50 or other scope that takes super tall rings that give you chin weld instead of cheak weld...what is usually a fair selling price. Is there a rule of thumb or is it highly dependant on the scope, what's currently in vogue, etc?

I'm specifically thinking about a Nikon Buckmasters 4-12x50 w/side focus in dang near new condition. New on SWFA they go for $359.

Hope you guys that buy and sell often can be serious for a post or two before this goes south. ***grin***

I would say no more than $300 since it is almost like new. Personally, I would try and get it for $250 or less.

I guess in the back of my head I always thought a used scope would be worth about 50% of new when considering it on a used gun/scope package. I can see 60-70% on some, but really the only way I'd go much higher would be if it is something I really want, it is in good condition and had a transferable warranty like Vortex...no questions asked.

Thanks, it is always good to be in the ball park when looking at trades or buying used. Don't want to beat someone up, but don't want to get taken either.

I sure wish your thinking applied to used guns :) I think mostly folks are gona ask what they are gona ask if if someone pays same without any research than so be it.

boxes and paperwork are also good indicaters as well. especially when dealing with cardboard boxes, if the owner took good care of the box, they usually take good care of the other things they own. just my .02....

you might want to try trading it for what you want.

Back
Top Bottom