• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Used and Broken Tools

C Rex

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
17   0
Reaction score
Last year a fellow ODT member - Stuckon 22 -gifted me with a large basket of used and broken tools that had belonged to his father. His hope was that they would not be wasted. Well, not being one to waste much of anything, I have slowly been getting these distributed. I have several promising students that I felt would benefit from the tools so I made up "Challenge" bundles. They were given the bundles with the instructions to use the good ones as designed and to forge something useful from the broken ones.

As usual they wanted an example. This was an old broken Irwin driver from the collection. It sports an 8" blade (12.5" OAL), wrought iron fittings and chunk of old shovel handle. I intend to post pics of what my students come up with as they report on their projects so stay tuned. May be awhile as we are meeting mostly virtually time being what it is.

img_20210302_183027377-jpg.3146620

Another ODT'r - Jackspack - brought me an assorted box of old wrenches recently. Somewhat same scenario, that I plan to distribute in like manner. Currently working on some examples for the students with these and will post examples later when complete.

Please understand most of the steels in these tools are really not considered hi-carbon knife worthy steels. Pretty much just a shade above mid range carbon. However, with the use of "super quench", one can get them serviceable hard for general use. As with anything, there are exceptions and surprises that the students will have to evaluate and overcome.
All part of the challenge to learn more about steels for the budding maker. Ask me if I'm having fun ..... heck yeah. Love seeing my guys learning.

2 years ago I was helping my brother clean out the house that he bought were the prior owners left a bunch of old rusted tools in the basement. I think I kept a dozen things for myself for actually use, but at least 100 pounds worth went to the local metal recycling yard.
I'll bet most of those old wrenches and sockets and pliers and nicked lawnmower blades would've made good steel to melt and reforge. The nails, screws, bolts, and plumbing pipe, probably not so much.

I replace my hoof files about once a year, always saving the old ones.
Ran across a high school kid taking blacksmithing classes , a perfect recipient.
You would have thought I gave him gold bars, he was so happy to get them!

Yes beginners are always needing more "raw" materials. There are some very generous folks here on ODT and other affiliations I am blessed to be connected with. Plus I've accumulated so much over the years, the stuff just keeps showing up. So, I'm always sending students off with more workable steel, etc. At my age I'll never be able to use up anywhere near all of it.

Update on repurposed steels and student progress.
These were done by one of my younger students - 12 yr old, with very promising talents. His parents have requested anonymity. He plans to gift these to someone special - can't say anymore just yet. Just know he has a heart as big as his talent.

Both items were forged from large openend wrenches. He worked with me through the experimenting process to find a decent thermal cycling and quenchant medium to get amazingly good results. His hammer work is exceptional for one his age and he is researching and learning the technical end of working metals hot. Only real tough spot I had to help with was hawk blade alignment, but we got it right.

Still working fit and finish on dagger handle - take the time to look at the ruler next to the work, not little projects!

Enjoy (more to come as other students finish their projects).

IMG_20210426_205024706.jpg
IMG_20210426_205106999.jpg
IMG_20210426_205153604.jpg

Not to my knowledge, without testing or a spec sheet it's anyone's guess. I'm doubting they'd be good due to the nature of their designed purpose. Plus there are so many other steel items out there that have greater potential, are readily available, and easier to repurpose.

Not to my knowledge, without testing or a spec sheet it's anyone's guess. I'm doubting they'd be good due to the nature of their designed purpose. Plus there are so many other steel items out there that have greater potential, are readily available, and easier to repurpose.
No explanation needed sir. I have a piece of 3/4". I think its 24"aceoss. If you're interested.

I'd be willing to test a chunk of it. Not real sure where the pasture at Stilesboro, GA is in relation to Acworth. Is that out near Euharlee?

Back
Top Bottom