• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

US Service Rifle 1903 - 1903A3 Discussion/ Pic Thread....

023.JPG
024.JPG

I Had to go back to CMP for another 1903. This time I scored a Mark I.

uQ3gQ1i.jpg

So, a few weeks ago I won this Springfield 1903 on Amoskeag Auction for $824.00. It is a 1913 vintage gun with a 5-13 dated barrel. From the limited auction description and single picture, it appeared to be pretty nice and relatively correct.

So it arrives last week and I decided to post it on another military surplus forum and was promptly told that it was a very nice rifle with mostly time-period correct parts, (1913 or earlier), but some were RIA, (stock and rear sight), and the J.S.A. cartouche was fake. Oh, and it has also been striped and reblued, but professionally done, not by some bubba with a bottle of cold blue.

I bought it with the plan to install a Numrich 22RF conversion kit, but maybe I should just use it as a tomato stack? So what do you think? What should I do with this piece of crap?

Here are more pictures. https://imgur.com/a/o75cn5A

uQ3gQ1i.jpg

So, a few weeks ago I won this Springfield 1903 on Amoskeag Auction for $824.00. It is a 1913 vintage gun with a 5-13 dated barrel. From the limited auction description and single picture, it appeared to be pretty nice and relatively correct.

So it arrives last week and I decided to post it on another military surplus forum and was promptly told that it was a very nice rifle with mostly time-period correct parts, (1913 or earlier), but some were RIA, (stock and rear sight), and the J.S.A. cartouche was fake. Oh, and it has also been striped and reblued, but professionally done, not by some bubba with a bottle of cold blue.

I bought it with the plan to install a Numrich 22RF conversion kit, but maybe I should just use it as a tomato stack? So what do you think? What should I do with this piece of crap?

Here are more pictures. https://imgur.com/a/o75cn5A

The following from the CMP Sales pages:

WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” SPRINGFIELDS
M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.
To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.
In view of the safety risk the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields. During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields. The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.
Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down. All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body. High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.
A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”. All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”. In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP (beware of re-marked fakes).
CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. Such rifles should be regarded as collector’s items, not “shooters”.

I would bet a low number 1903 will handle a 22 rimfire. You did read why I bought it.

The following from the CMP Sales pages:

WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” SPRINGFIELDS
M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.
To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.
In view of the safety risk the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields. During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields. The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.
Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down. All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body. High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.
A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”. All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”. In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP (beware of re-marked fakes).
CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. Such rifles should be regarded as collector’s items, not “shooters”.

I have a couple of questions, I need some parts for 1903. I picked one up a few years back that was put in a Montycarlo stock. 2 things needed.
1) another barrel any ideas?
2) another stock and handguard?

I look on sarco, and cmp, just seams I miss the deal

Thanks,
P.s. If this need to be removed because of incorrect location no foul.

Back
Top Bottom