• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

US Service Rifle 1903 - 1903A3 Discussion/ Pic Thread....

The stock is in amazing condition, the stamps on the left side should be FJA and the crossed cannons ordnance stamp. It probably has an OG stamp further down on the buttstock.

Smith Corona and Remington did not share parts. Also, the floorplate would have originally been blued, as in the second pic above, weather it was S-C or Rem.

When you get a chance post a few more pics, including the buttplate, lower band spring cut-out, and the bolt.

That is a great looking rifle and stock is awesome. How much did you give for it?

The stock is in amazing condition, the stamps on the left side should be FJA and the crossed cannons ordnance stamp. It probably has an OG stamp further down on the buttstock.

Smith Corona and Remington did not share parts. Also, the floorplate would have originally been blued, as in the second pic above, weather it was S-C or Rem.

When you get a chance post a few more pics, including the buttplate, lower band spring cut-out, and the bolt.

That is a great looking rifle and stock is awesome. How much did you give for it?

It has the crossed cannons stamp, on the left side. When I get it on post I'll take a few more pictures. Could you tell me what year it was produced? I payed $900

1903A3SCstocknumber.jpg

I finally brought this old girl back to life. She started out as a drill rifle that was in need of some resuscitation. I finally located a Smith Corona barrel to match the receiver and got to filing away, getting the cutoff area cleaned up. I finished everything in Norrell's Gray/Black MolyResin, which if baked at a higher temp for a longer duration, yields a nice green/gray parkerizing from WW2. I know a converted drill rifle doesn't carry the value of an unmolested rifle, but for a shooter, I'm certainly not going to complain.

Rifle - $200
Barrel - $200
Bolt - $40
Misc Parts - $25

Everything is Smith Corona on the rifle with the exception of the lower band and stock. I need to see if anyone might be willing to trade a straight stock for this scant setup.

33445094598_a8ff8a0279_b.jpg

33445097918_a4244df647_b.jpg

46597769374_d9819ba890_b.jpg

40355841543_b5b857aed8_b.jpg

After visiting the Spring Armory museum in Springfield Mass, I am going to start saving my pennies for a original M1903 service rifle. They are so nice and so historical. Wow.

Thought I'd drag this post back from the dead because I love me some 1903's!

Here's a rifle where I just refinished the stock/handguard. 1918 SA receiver with 1927 SA Barrel. The stock was looking pretty rough when I got it and the Murphy's Oil Soap treatment wasn't cutting it. I took the finish down to the wood with some 0000 steel wool and denatured alcohol and then used raw linseed oil to bring it back. I didn't even try to fill in the chips and dents and left those as-is. 10 coats rubbed in on the stock and 2 on the handguard until it matched the stock. I'm pretty happy with the outcome!

49135091171_c50a670889_b.jpg

After visiting the Spring Armory museum in Springfield Mass, I am going to start saving my pennies for a original M1903 service rifle. They are so nice and so historical. Wow.

As an ex-Masshole I'm actually surprised they have something as racist as a gun museum in the state any more. I keep waiting to see that they are taking down the Minuteman statue at Lexington... it'll happen sooner versus later.

The 03 is a sweet rifle though, and still pretty affordable depending on how historical you want it to be.

Back
Top Bottom