• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE - The struggle is real - COVID and life - as if affects auto repair.

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
So over the last 3 or 4 weeks, real obvious something is wrong with my drive train. Hoping it's U joints, I take it to the shop, (Ilm way past crawling under there to check for myself.)

Nope, the differential has grenaded, which I suspected but was hoping against.

This shop doesn't do rear ends, have to take to off road shop, o.k., no biggie.

So I call the off road shop, the soonest they can work it in is November. That really sucks, this is my hunting truck.

BUT that's only if they can get parts.

My truck is a 1997 F150 with an 8,8 differential. The most common differential in the most common pickup truck in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD. 3.55 ratio, probably the most common ratio.

The not so bad news is that the parts are not available and are back ordered until late September. I query the garage guy, "how can a common part for the most common truck in the world be on back order for nearly two months? There is no new technology, no rare earth, no computer chips. He says it's a problem in parts all across the board. AND OF COURSE, the backorder date is not "firm", it's their "hope for" date of delivery.

It's a good garage, the price seems reasonable, they are apparently doing all they can, but I can;t help but feeling like this really really sucks.

Get a used one from the junkyard? If it’s that common there should be plenty to choose from. Just my thoughts

That's my first inclination.

BUT we are talking 1997 F150, 4WD, when you get to matching things up with parts of uncertain mileage, funky things begin to happen. It's the differential, no way to judge it's history.

Talked it over with both mechanics, and the difference is a few hundred dollars, and this is sort of my "forever" truck. It's an untimely PITA but I'm going with all new.

And I'm the worlds biggest fan of junkyard parts, but usually something I can swap out myself. Although I successfully swapped out a rear end in an earlier truck, but the age difference wasn't so great. Have to admit the rear end was under water in sand a couple of times last year, so not real surprised.

No complaints about service life, just really surprised at parts shortage.

Supply chain crunch is real right now. Being felt across the board in a lot of industries. So many suppliers have zero stock. You’ll need to source the part yourself if you want to speed it up. Junkyard is a good option.

If you need it back on the road soon
I’d get a used part

there’s a junkyard in Dallas Ga that only has pickups and SUVs
Forgot the name of the place

it all comes down to just back material shortage. company i work for makes scientific instruments and we cant get parts from chips and boards, to just basic steel slugs for our machine shop to cut parts from.

So over the last 3 or 4 weeks, real obvious something is wrong with my drive train. Hoping it's U joints, I take it to the shop, (Ilm way past crawling under there to check for myself.)

Nope, the differential has grenaded, which I suspected but was hoping against.

This shop doesn't do rear ends, have to take to off road shop, o.k., no biggie.

So I call the off road shop, the soonest they can work it in is November. That really sucks, this is my hunting truck.

BUT that's only if they can get parts.

My truck is a 1997 F150 with an 8,8 differential. The most common differential in the most common pickup truck in the HISTORY OF THE WORLD. 3.55 ratio, probably the most common ratio.

The not so bad news is that the parts are not available and are back ordered until late September. I query the garage guy, "how can a common part for the most common truck in the world be on back order for nearly two months? There is no new technology, no rare earth, no computer chips. He says it's a problem in parts all across the board. AND OF COURSE, the backorder date is not "firm", it's their "hope for" date of delivery.

It's a good garage, the price seems reasonable, they are apparently doing all they can, but I can;t help but feeling like this really really sucks.

Summit racing has ring and pinions, bearings and install kits and differentials for that truck in stock ready to deliver. I'd check them out or 4wheel parts.

Back
Top Bottom