• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Untrusted Traders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have way in the past, had dealings with a "newer guy" that started off pretty bad (1 of 2 feedbacks negged). I talked to him on the phone and he finally got that I looked on this as a community not a CraigBook forum. That was all it took, he got it and I am very glad to still have contact with this guy after 10 years, and consider him a good friend.

We all started somewhere, if mistake were made early it is going to be very hard to earn back that trust. I hope this reaches someone who will male friends before deals.

I have had only a few bad experience a in over ten years here.
Most bad experiences were because the seller decided to sell it to someone else for a better deal or a buyer decided they did not want to buy it.
Either way, I waste no energy with being pissed off. I submit negs where warranted and go on never thinking about it again.

I had an experience where a guy asked me to fill out a bill of sale but never mentioned it before me driving about an hour for the sale. He was a nice solid young guy and I signed the BOS. With him I didn’t not think it is a risk.

I had only one experience that was worrisome. I had a guy send me several insulting messages about a gun I had for sell , basically declaring I was a liar about the gun, and then later offered to pay me full asking price for the same gun
When I refused to sell it to him he kept sending me insulting PMs after I asked him to stop contacting me.
He possibly knew enough about me to cross paths. I was only concerned that the guy might be crazy enough to force me to defend myself.

There are specific rules about negative feedback.
I wish the admins had time to be more liberal with negs but I understand many of the rules here are because it is free site for most people and there is not enough revenue to warrant paid moderators.

I have found that actually talking with the buyer or seller on the phone fixes virtually all problems for me.
I have been up front with several people who had little or no feedback and said I will not travel far due to that. Every time I have had that conversation it has gone perfectly.

I have had contact with people on the naughty list over the years. One seems like a likable guy but may have mental issues based on my very short interaction. I would never communicate with that person again.
In this risk adverse environment we live in the USA I would question whether the owner of this site shouldn’t ban members based on feedback due to liability. If multiple members write that a member is a thief and eventually a shooting occurs, Is there any liability?

Without a doubt ODT has been a very enjoyable experience overall.
I think it is the best group of people you can assemble with no entrance fee and no minimum commitment The only other group of people I care about communicating with are regular competitive shooting buddies. There is about a $1,000 and 8 or more hours per week minimum commitment to join that group so a significant filter exists to joining that group.

Welchers deserve a kick in the balls.

gyppo

I have had only a few bad experience a in over ten years here.
Most bad experiences were because the seller decided to sell it to someone else for a better deal or a buyer decided they did not want to buy it.
Either way, I waste no energy with being pissed off. I submit negs where warranted and go on never thinking about it again.

I had an experience where a guy asked me to fill out a bill of sale but never mentioned it before me driving about an hour for the sale. He was a nice solid young guy and I signed the BOS. With him I didn’t not think it is a risk.

I had only one experience that was worrisome. I had a guy send me several insulting messages about a gun I had for sell , basically declaring I was a liar about the gun, and then later offered to pay me full asking price for the same gun
When I refused to sell it to him he kept sending me insulting PMs after I asked him to stop contacting me.
He possibly knew enough about me to cross paths. I was only concerned that the guy might be crazy enough to force me to defend myself.

There are specific rules about negative feedback.
I wish the admins had time to be more liberal with negs but I understand many of the rules here are because it is free site for most people and there is not enough revenue to warrant paid moderators.

I have found that actually talking with the buyer or seller on the phone fixes virtually all problems for me.
I have been up front with several people who had little or no feedback and said I will not travel far due to that. Every time I have had that conversation it has gone perfectly.

I have had contact with people on the naughty list over the years. One seems like a likable guy but may have mental issues based on my very short interaction. I would never communicate with that person again.
In this risk adverse environment we live in the USA I would question whether the owner of this site shouldn’t ban members based on feedback due to liability. If multiple members write that a member is a thief and eventually a shooting occurs, Is there any liability?

Without a doubt ODT has been a very enjoyable experience overall.
I think it is the best group of people you can assemble with no entrance fee and no minimum commitment The only other group of people I care about communicating with are regular competitive shooting buddies. There is about a $1,000 and 8 or more hours per week minimum commitment to join that group so a significant filter exists to joining that group.

Welchers deserve a kick in the balls.

gyppo
I agree to the phone contact. And the bonus is when you meet someone whose decent you've already got their contact in the phone. Made some of the best friends that way

I got a neg once on a 3 AR15 magazine deal. I told him I would call him the next time I went through Marietta to visit my father I would text to meet. Well the next time I went through was the day my father died. We had to prepare the funeral and bring him up here to Virginia because they had already purchase two burial plots here. Where I was staying in up here at my families place I got no reception so I was cut off for a week or ten days so the guy neged me. When I got back I sent a PM and said look it you are hurting that he bad for cash I will meet you right now and give you the money and you can keep the mags. He never would never reply back so I just took my medicine which effected my score like 2%. I guess when your father dies you are suppose to remember a 3 magazine deal. I was so distraught I had forgot about the whole thing. My dad was the best. He was full of life and every room he walked into he was the light that made everyone's mood change for the better instantly. The world lost a good soul that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom