• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Untrusted Traders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a guy buying a motorcycle from me years ago. Agreed on a price of $1500. He said needed a couple of days to get the cash and get a friend to drop him off so he could ride it home.
He shows up the next weekend with friend, hands me cash, says he could only come up with $1300. I told him ‘no problem, just come back when you get the other $200 and you can ride it home’. He shook his head, reached into another pocket where he miraculously found exactly $200, and we closed the deal.

Nope, not me. If we had already agreed to a deal that what I stand by. If it hurts me, I still stand by the deal.

(Assuming everything was as described in the negotiation.)
I'm not talking about a done deal. Just negotiating. someone asks for my "best price" and I give it to them, that's what it is.

In your situation, I've walked away from several, some I drove a considerable distance to get to.

Once drove a good distance, buyer looked at my gun, said it wasn't really worth the agreed price, best he could do was $XXX. I said, "o.K." , took it back, got into my vehicle and drove home. Took me forever to delete all the text messages I got on the way back,

I'm not talking about a done deal. Just negotiating. someone asks for my "best price" and I give it to them, that's what it is.

In your situation, I've walked away from several, some I drove a considerable distance to get to.

Once drove a good distance, buyer looked at my gun, said it wasn't really worth the agreed price, best he could do was $XXX. I said, "o.K." , took it back, got into my vehicle and drove home. Took me forever to delete all the text messages I got on the way back,
Sometimes, the item doesn’t look as good as the pictures. I have no problem with a buyer turning it down after closer inspection. Just don’t try to lowball me. If you don’t want it at the agreed price, you don’t really want it at all.

mike-lowrey.gif

Sometimes, the item doesn’t look as good as the pictures. I have no problem with a buyer turning it down after closer inspection. Just don’t try to lowball me. If you don’t want it at the agreed price, you don’t really want it at all.
I've turned down stuff, but I'm not using it as an opportunity to low ball the seller. A couple of times the seller has asked "what will you give for it as is" and for me that reopens the negotiation.

Couple of occasions there were obvious mechanical flaws, but I understand that "condition" is a matter of opinion, so I don't get too pissed off, either way.

Being on the receiving end of "What's the lowest you're willing to go." makes it seem like the person using this line is trying to rob you of any leverage in negotiating a price. If you just want to cut the BS then, as has already been said, just make an offer and go from there.
“willing to” and “want to” are completely different. in my opinion it’s about ballpark pricing. in other words “are we even close to being on the same page” You never can tell, everyone is so different and imo that question cuts thru all potential personality differences and approaches… someone just asked me on my post and i told em.. easy peasy my friend..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom