• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unknown powder identification?

Trying to guess an unknown powder with an unknown burn rate from a pulled factory load, with the same charge weight,sounds exactly how you blow something up. To many published loads that will duplicate or improve upon a factory loading to ever take the chance.
Well hell, that ain't no fun! LOL!

So you don't blow anything up?
Oh good grief...you ever heard of reloading manuals, working UP SLOWLY to a max charge, a chronograph, learning signs of pressure....but I have only been reloading 25 or so years with no blow ups, so what do I know.

Besides the fact that 99% of factory loads are anemic so idiot shooters dont hurt themselves....a careful reloader can make a boring factory chambering sing, AND experiment and find a bullet/powder combo his rifle likes and make it a real one hole beast.

An example....280Rem/7mm Rem Express....was doing so poorly Remington renamed the 280 to 7mm express to boost sales...it didnt work. Handloaders rediscovered the round and its popularity shot thru the roof. Nah, mimicking a factory round is pointless IMO. YMMV

Trying to guess an unknown powder with an unknown burn rate from a pulled factory load, with the same charge weight,sounds exactly how you blow something up. To many published loads that will duplicate or improve upon a factory loading to ever take the chance.
Couldnt agree more my friend.

Oh good grief...you ever heard of reloading manuals, working UP SLOWLY to a max charge, a chronograph, learning signs of pressure....but I have only been reloading 25 or so years with no blow ups, so what do I know.

Besides the fact that 99% of factory loads are anemic so idiot shooters dont hurt themselves....a careful reloader can make a boring factory chambering sing, AND experiment and find a bullet/powder combo his rifle likes and make it a real one hole beast.

An example....280Rem/7mm Rem Express....was doing so poorly Remington renamed the 280 to 7mm express to boost sales...it didnt work. Handloaders rediscovered the round and its popularity shot thru the roof. Nah, mimicking a factory round is pointless IMO. YMMV
Hey, you asked, I answered. That would be a very reasonable, safe option. Sounded like the OP was not Mr. 35 Year Reloader.

Hey, you asked, I answered. That would be a very reasonable, safe option. Sounded like the OP was not Mr. 35 Year Reloader.
True that. And didnt mean to come off harsh.
But why bother reloading? Shoot factory if you want to replicate. You can load up or down, tailor your loads to your guns or needs. Plus its darned good therapy!!

That I am not. I was only thinking if I knew what it was I could possibly cater it more for my weapon. I am not new to reloading but very much not a pro. I also have 1 reloading issue that sucks for me. I do not have a chronograph, nor do I have a place to use one. So I always start with the starting load and bring it up until my firearm is cycling the round. Once there if it is acurate I keep it.

That I am not. I was only thinking if I knew what it was I could possibly cater it more for my weapon. I am not new to reloading but very much not a pro. I also have 1 reloading issue that sucks for me. I do not have a chronograph, nor do I have a place to use one. So I always start with the starting load and bring it up until my firearm is cycling the round. Once there if it is acurate I keep it.
I start just below half and work up from there. Watch you primers for pressure signs, and how the gun cycles. Dont have to have a chrono. I load mostly rifle rounds, when I get close to max I usually start increasing by .2 grains and watch primers for pressure signs.

You'd need much better high def, large format pics for help. Even then, it's doubtful since that's a factory load I take it? They'll contract for that powder most likely. It's possible that it's not even avail for retail sale in the US.

What he said. The manufacturers have access to powder that is not available to retail customers. The best you can do is guess.

Back
Top Bottom