• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Under appreciated and often overlooked prep items:

If you or someone you love have any serious medical conditions that require medication, learning of alternative meds and also a natural native plant based facsimile could keep you or loved ones alive when the orange bottle runs dry. Just remember when learning about vegetation to mind your location, if you live in central Georgia and learn about plants that are only found above 10,000 feet altitude or only found in Europe.... Well you will be wasting energy looking for something that can't grow here.

Personally for me my vision is the biggest player. I'm young enough, healthy enough, and have enough smarts and wit to get through most anything, but as I learned at work years back over 40 miles from home, I am utterly useless if something happens to my glasses. I can walk around but that's about it, no driving, no shooting, no telling friend from foe till they are about two feet from my face. That one always gets me big time.

Extra pair of glasses and a few month's supply of meds is always a good idea. If SHTF, hard choices will have to be made regarding resupply of necessary prescriptions.

Depending on your heating needs, a wood burning stove would be a life savor if you currently rely on propane/electric to heat your home.

A roll of barbed wire, I keep a small amount at the house just in case I need to make a perimeter around the yard. Perfect to trip people up in the night if they come snooping around, add a few spikes in the ground & that should cause a world of hurt to trespassers.

Spare wood to cover windows, easiest way into a home would be to break the glass. While I lived in Florida I kept pre-cut boards of plywood to cover the windows when a hurricane came through. Made it easier to label the boards to it's specific window for quick install.

Pellet gun for small game. It's nice to have a few thousand rounds of 22lr, but it causes too much attention for that squirrel or rabbit you're after.

Vitamins, if your stuck with eating rice & beans...you'll need your basic nutrients to survive.

A good supply of cooking oil is very helpful. I always keep/rotate about 4 large jugs of coconut oil around the house just in case. Not only can you cook/eat it for it's healthy fats, but it can help your skin stay hydrated & may help fight off basic fungal infections. I've been using it for my son since birth & never had to deal with diaper rash.

Don't forget about your significant other, stock up on feminine hygiene items for her. When I go out shopping & I'm asked to pick them up. I stock up about a 6 month supply (just like my toilette paper). Should make those times of the month go by a little easier with out having to cut of fabrics for her to use or use up your toilet paper supply.

Not necessarily a prep, but one thing I've been meaning to do is install a few solar lights in the house. With out electricity it can get pretty dark inside, but if you plan to board your windows up it'll help with your daily living inside. I used to live in a house with them when I was younger & loved it.

Also might want to keep a few tubs around, plastic or galvanize metal. Helps with dealing with cleaning laundry, dishes, bathing, or hauling/collecting material.

Can't forget hygiene. Soap, toothpaste & toothbrushes make a big difference. I picked up a case of 144 Colgate toothbrushes for a great price. If you don't mind using a toothbrush that doesn't have the rubber bristles or a shaped head then they last/work just like a regular one. Super cheap with a good handle that will make you wonder why the others cost so much more.
https://smile.amazon.com/Colgate-55...870193&sr=8-2&keywords=colgate+toothbrush+144

Back
Top Bottom