• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Under 21 Open Carry While Hiking

If your life depends on it, dont let your last words be "oh no, if only I was able to rent back my gun rights from my local goverment"
Take your firearm of choice and steer clear of harms way, use it to preserve your life if need be and not inflict any harm to others. The government isnt going to swoop down and save you in shining armor it's just you alone out there, use your tools wisely and come back home safe.

Washington is turning in his grave for what the 2A has turned into, we need constitutional carry for all states

If your life depends on it, dont let your last words be "oh no, if only I was able to rent back my gun rights from my local goverment"
Take your firearm of choice and steer clear of harms way, use it to preserve your life if need be and not inflict any harm to others. The government isnt going to swoop down and save you in shining armor it's just you alone out there, use your tools wisely and come back home safe.

Washington is turning in his grave for what the 2A has turned into, we need constitutional carry for all states
constitutional carry would be the best Christmas present ever, sounds almost too good to be true

constitutional carry would be the best Christmas present ever, sounds almost too good to be true

Y'all understand don't you, that we have had a Republican governor and legislature, maybe for the last time, for the last 20 years or so, and there has been ABSOLUTELY no movement in this direction. Like Uncle Frank who drinks a little too much at Thanksgiving, the Republicans keep inviting us to the party, but they really don't listen to us.

Vultureman wrote:
"Constitutional carry would be the best Christmas present ever,
sounds almost too good to be true."

Y'all understand don't you, that we have had a Republican governor and legislature, maybe for the last time, for the last 20 years or so, and there has been ABSOLUTELY no movement in this direction.

I agree the Republicans in control of Georgia's government for the last 20 years
(30 years, really) have not been interested in letting any swinging Richard
carry any type of weapon they want in any public place, no questions asked, anonymously, without any type of permit or license.

However I wouldn't say that there has been no movement in that direction-- the direction of getting rid of gun control laws!
From the early 1990s until now a crapton of gun control laws have been rolled back. Some huge ones have been just flat out repealed entirely, like the "public gathering" clause. Government buildings and public property are much more open to atmed citizens carrying than they were a generation ago. Restaurants and bars used to be off-limits to firearms license holders. Later the ban was narrowed down just bars, but restaurants were OK. Now both are OK !

I’ve done a quick search and really only came up with “fishing and hunting” as approved activities in which a person under 21 can open carry a pistol.

Can anyone point me to a statute with clarity on the issue of a person under 21 open carrying a handgun while hiking on national forest lands?
Get you one of those Popiel Pocket Fisherman rod/reel and add it to the holster...problem solved!

You cannot open carry a handgun in GA unless you have a WCL (weapon carry license).

Welcome to the ODT.

You are wrong.

A person who is 18 yrs. old, and not barred from carrying a handgun, can open carry a handgun without a GWL while hunting, fishing, participating in a shooting sport, or in his automobile, home, or place of business.

In fact, if hunting and fishing, for a person of any age, if you don't have a GWL you are required to open carry a handgun.

It helps to read the previous posts where this was explained in great detail.

How about carrying a rifle while hiking? Not as convenient, but may be the only way for an 18-20 to legally carry while in public (while not engaged in hunting, fishing, etc)

Reference GA code 16-11-126
(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

How about carrying a rifle while hiking? Not as convenient, but may be the only way for an 18-20 to legally carry while in public (while not engaged in hunting, fishing, etc)

Reference GA code 16-11-126
(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.
For hiking sure but honestly I'd say a can of bear spray goes a long way. Carrying a ar-15 around a populated area in town? Even though legal I would say it wouldn't be worth the risk... You'd be labeled as a terrorist in this day and age and have the cops called on you. Even most LE aren't fully educated on gun laws so you may likely be harassed and detained.

Back
Top Bottom