• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Under 21 Open Carry While Hiking

Swab

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
153   0
Reaction score
I’ve done a quick search and really only came up with “fishing and hunting” as approved activities in which a person under 21 can open carry a pistol.

Can anyone point me to a statute with clarity on the issue of a person under 21 open carrying a handgun while hiking on national forest lands?

National Forests follow the laws of the state in which they are located for gun carry issues.

You have to be 21 to get a license to open carry in Georgia, except for certain exceptions which you have mentioned.

So the question is, when do you stop hunting (or fishing) and start just "hiking." You aren't going to find a black letter definition on that - and I suggest you best have a hunting or fishing license if you want to press the point.

Get a fishing license and carry a small spool of 10 pound monofilament line, one fishhook, and one bobber in your pocket,
fanny pack, or backpack.
No matter which way you are walking when you encounter a law-enforcement officer, you can always say that you're heading towards that stream
that's ahead and down the hill a-ways.

National Forests follow the laws of the state in which they are located for gun carry issues.

You have to be 21 to get a license to open carry in Georgia, except for certain exceptions which you have mentioned.

So the question is, when do you stop hunting (or fishing) and start just "hiking." You aren't going to find a black letter definition on that - and I suggest you best have a hunting or fishing license if you want to press the point.
I’m not aware of any law that says you must be 21 to carry a weapon in Georgia. You must be 21 to purchase a handgun but unless rules have changed recently there’s no law against being in possession of one. Unless you get a dick game warden( what’s the chances) or a ranger then it’s not a huge issue. Aside from that you can see the obvious issues with enforcement based on either lack of knowledge of the actual laws or misinformation . As always respect goes a long way in any encounter with law enforcement although game wardens and park rangers are not seen by cops as law enforcement regardless of what they think they are.

Read OCGA 16-11-124 (f) specifically. There’s nothing in the statute that says you have to be 21 to open carry a handgun. Actually there’s also no law that says you have to get a permit. Georgia is also one of the few states that allows people under 21 to get mandated as a LEO and carry a weapon under 21. That being said just because you are following the law doesn’t mean some douchebag won’t push the issue especially if you dare to challenge their lack of knowledge. Also for future reference the absolute last people to ask about what is legal is law enforcement. Look up the statutes, go by the law, if they arrest you or give you **** about it hire a lawyer and get your payday because someone is to lazy to follow the laws

I’m not aware of any law that says you must be 21 to carry a weapon in Georgia. You must be 21 to purchase a handgun but unless rules have changed recently there’s no law against being in possession of one. Unless you get a dick game warden( what’s the chances) or a ranger then it’s not a huge issue. Aside from that you can see the obvious issues with enforcement based on either lack of knowledge of the actual laws or misinformation . As always respect goes a long way in any encounter with law enforcement although game wardens and park rangers are not seen by cops as law enforcement regardless of what they think they are.
16-11-101.1 states you have to be 18+ to buy a pistol private sale, and if under 18 can only possess with parental permission for activities listed in 16-11-132 for carrying see 16-11-126 but in short as long as your legally able to possess firearms for long guns as long as it's open or unloaded in a case your good for handguns unless hunting, fishing, sport, or home,car, place of business, private property allowed, you need to have a ccw to carry without being unloaded in a case and to be eligible for a ccw you need to be atleast 21 or 18 in the military

Back
Top Bottom