• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

under 18" shotgun barrels; when do they become illegal?

What is your favorite length all around shotgun barrel

• the real answer is 3 it is always 3... this week.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dude... why do you have a shotgun everybody needs an AR

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 32in long Tom of course

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Bigger than a taco

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

BLIP

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
STOCKS REFINISHED
651   1
Reaction score
My question is theoretical:
If you have a shotgun barrel that is less than 18 in and was not made that way it was cut down when does it become illegal to own?
Is it like a suppressor? Not illegal until you actually mount?
I am speaking of a factory Barrel that has been cut down but not installed. Is it illegal to have in your possession?
Just one of those curiosity things that popped out of nowhere don't worry I don't have a barrel under 19 in

Attachments

• Diablo-12-gauge-double-barrel-shotgun-1.jpg
    Diablo-12-gauge-double-barrel-shotgun-1.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 34
My question is theoretical:
If you have a shotgun barrel that is less than 18 in and was not made that way it was cut down when does it become illegal to own?
Is it like a suppressor? Not illegal until you actually mount?
I am speaking of a factory Barrel that has been cut down but not installed. Is it illegal to have in your possession?
Just one of those curiosity things that popped out of nowhere don't worry I don't have a barrel under 19 in
One reason the one in your pic is legal is because it's a black powder gun.

My guess would be that if you have the short barrel and everything else to assemble an SBS, then it could be argued that you have constructive possession. But I'm no lawyer.

If it’s sold as a PG shotgun it should transfer as other. Like the shockwave, any barrel length as long as OAL is greater than 26”.

if it is sold as a shotgun you can’t cut below 18” barrel.

most the king and stamp yo ****

Attachments

• 456C1333-660D-442E-8F15-C42F7A671818.jpeg
    456C1333-660D-442E-8F15-C42F7A671818.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 29
My guess would be that if you have the short barrel and everything else to assemble an SBS, then it could be argued that you have constructive possession. But I'm no lawyer.
I own a SxS and a hacksaw. Is that constructive intent?
That’s only a thing if there’s no legal way for you to configure you’re stuff. I’m allowed to have 8” AR uppers in the same safe as my title 1 rifles because I also have an SBR and pistol lowers. If you don’t have that you can be tied up

I own a SxS and a hacksaw. Is that constructive intent?
That’s only a thing if there’s no legal way for you to configure you’re stuff. I’m allowed to have 8” AR uppers in the same safe as my title 1 rifles because I also have an SBR and pistol lowers. If you don’t have that you can be tied up
I made no mention of intent.

Constructive possession based on "Intent" is real, it's a concept in the law that has been dealt with by the courts thousands of times over decades -- in the context of drugs, stolen goods, and other contraband.

But with respect to short barreled rifles or shotguns, I'm not aware of any criminal cases where constructive intent was argued by the prosecution over a gun that was disassembled and the short barrel was not mounted on the frame or receiver.

It "could" happen though, if you did not possess a frame or receiver that would be legal to mount that short barrel to, and therefore the only gun of yours the barrel fits is a gun that was originally sold with a buttstock and it is classified as a rifle.

Back
Top Bottom