• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TV/internet options in Athens

MrJim

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
19   0
Reaction score
My youngest boy is living in a house in Athens that I own while he is at UGA. Currently have Spectrum for both and it is now $160 a month. I am not tech savy but what kind of options are out there to cut the cost? I’m in the country and options here are limited. But surely there is something cheaper in Athens. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, that's the going rate. I live in the bush and the only thing I can get is Satellite, or what I do have now is HULU live. But if you add the $60 they charge you along with the 100 bucks the phone co. charges for phone and internet, you're right back up there in cable tv land. Cutting the cord isn't what it used to be.

AT&T may be available, but has poor service rep. Cost is about the same.

Satellite or Spectrum.

I've even tried antenna but we are in a dead zone without a tower.

I dropped Spectrum cable, kept going up and up. What TV I watch I stream off the internet.

Might check ti see if Spectrum has a deal for new accounts. Sometimes they do for a limited period.

I found it was cheaper to go to a bar and watch UGA football than have Spectrum cable.

If he has internet and cable, it's going to be $140+ a month.

Dang. Not really what I wanted to hear but I guess it is what it is. Was hoping to hear more about tv over the internet.

Dang. Not really what I wanted to hear but I guess it is what it is. Was hoping to hear more about tv over the internet.

That's what I have, HULU w/live tv. $60 a month, but you have to pay the internet, and that's about a hundred.

YouTube TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling, but like a previous post said, after the internet (there are not other real options) it’s about the same cost. Netflix is great and they have a plan for about $10. Directv / Dish are hot garbage and overly expensive.

Can you get him a Verizon hotspot and write it off and avoid charter or comcast internet?

Y (there are not other real options) it’s about the same cost. Netflix is great and they have a plan for about $10. Directv / Dish are hot garbage and overly expensive.

That's what I found out. Tried Sling because it had MLB and SEC football and then it dropped those. AS a service it worked, but without those didn't offer me anything.

I have an Amazon Prime account, and you get a free streaming service with that. You will be amazed at how many really crappy movies have been made in history. Even then Prime tries to steer you to subscription services.

I like documentaries, and there is a lot of good free stuff on You Tube. You can get a You Tube account and get more stuff but my limited needs are met by the free stuff. Lots of really old movies, which I like, and of course, music videos. I find myself streaming a particular artist or genre while I do something else.

Verizon caps their hotspot to around 16gb with high transfer speeds, thereafter low transfer speed (really no speed, lol) until billing cycle resets, so basically Verizon hotspot is not a option for streaming movies/TV

Back
Top Bottom