• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tutorial: Assembling an AR Upper

No mention of squaring the upper? You used a nice unit but most folks are building on Anderson, Palmetto blems, Aero and similar. If these are not squared, will not get best accuracy and folks like ARP don't warranty their parts on even the nicest upper unless it is squared.

www.crowderinc.com_images_guns_AR15_WheelerReceiverLapTool002_small.jpg

http://www.crowderinc.com/CoolAR15 Upper Square 001.html

Not hawking my website as no ads or do I make any money from it. Just try to share info when have time to post it.

No mention of squaring the upper? You used a nice unit but most folks are building on Anderson, Palmetto blems, Aero and similar. If these are not squared, will not get best accuracy and folks like ARP don't warranty their parts on even the nicest upper unless it is squared.

Not hawking my website as no ads or do I make any money from it. Just try to share info when have time to post it.

I'm not convinced that squaring or 'lapping' or 'trueing' an AR upper is necessary on the average build.
How much accuracy are you going to gain? How often does anyone see a forged upper from a reputable source that isn't 'square'?
Disclaimer: I am not an AR builder and while I do have a Colt field gauge I haver never bothered to check the headspace using a GO or NO-GO gauge on any AR I have put together using new parts from known sources. YMMV

Show me independent testing that proves lapping the upper improves accuracy of an AR. Go ahead, I'll wait...

More often than not, guys chasing this white whale do more harm than good and end up damaging the upper. This is Bubba gunsmithing at its worst. If you really believed that it made a difference, you would do it correctly and with precision, using an end mill and correct fixturing to ensure that the face is perpendicular to the bore. Do you honestly think some guy with a hand drill in his garage and a potato for a phone can ensure perfect bore alignment? And even if you could, can you prove it makes a difference?

And since this is my thread / my tutorial, I'm going to ask you to go ahead and GTFO. Go pimp your "services" elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What's a fair price to pay a gunsmith to assemble an AR upper for me? Toyed around with the idea of building one and have most of the parts but thinking about it I'd be more comfortable having a pro do it.

What's a fair price to pay a gunsmith to assemble an AR upper for me? Toyed around with the idea of building one and have most of the parts but thinking about it I'd be more comfortable having a pro do it.

I'm the Armorer at TruPrep in Marietta. I'll assemble your AR15 upper while you wait for $50.

Back
Top Bottom