• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tubing the Chattahoochee

I’ve done it twice, with the grandkids. And we used the tubing company. The only thing they offer in terms of distance, was a 1 hour kind ride, and a 2 hours kinda ride. They take you in a bus. Drive you up the river... And yes The Southern Gentlemen The Southern Gentlemen is correct, I think using the tubing company would be much easier. We bought some wood sticks to help us to navigate the river, they’re about 4.5 feet long, we still have them at home to use this year.
Still have mine as well!!

We tubed at Helen a few years back. The river wasn't really up all that much and I dragged my butt over some of the rocks. You can get out anywhere you can climb up the bank and the bus will stop for anyone standing there with a tube. It wasn't overly expensive, it was not crowded when we went and we only went down to about middle of the town and that took about 30 or 40 minutes. I'm not a dedicated water person and my daughter and her friends wanted something to eat.

t
Are you old enough to remember "The Great Chattahoochee Raft Race"? :fish2: Still have my patch somewhere or another.

Hell yeah, them was some really good times, herpes and AIDS hadn't been invented yet.

My dad was in commercial construction, and I have no idea where he scored the inner tubes that looked like they came from on of those mine trucks.

Just 'put-in' before South Cobb Rd ...Or put in there & get out at Six Flags , you will need a change of clothes & also a HAS -MAT bath after.

For Real , You got good advice in yr reply's

Back in the day we would put in Near roswell & get out a Riverbend Apt's or Acres Mill . Ahhh The Good Old Day's .
My fathers family used to live in a house on the river next to river bend apartments . In 1956, when acres mill & powers ferry was a dirt road with a One lane bridge and 285 wasn’t even thought of.

My fathers family used to live in a house on the river next to river bend apartments . In 1956, when acres mill & powers ferry was a dirt road with a One lane bridge and 285 wasn’t even thought of.

That's cool info , I have a old C & S Bank Map Book from the mid 1960's I think & I 285 was built is some areas & ' Purposed ' in others .

Also I'm a Civil War Relic hunter & would love to have detected the area your Dad's family lived & down stream as that's the general area the US troops crossed the Hooch .

Also my Step Dad used to mention that his Dad told him how I 75 was a small road when they lived right off the N Ave Exit Downtown .

Have a great weekend .

Also I'm a Civil War Relic hunter & would love to have detected the area your Dad's family lived & down stream as that's the general area the US troops crossed the Hooch .

We lived in East Atlanta when they were building I-20 from downtown. After rain, we could walk where they were working and pick up handfuls of Minie Balls. We would take them to school and throw them at each other. Most kids in my school had a cigar box full. A "trophy" was something like a belt buckle, or basically anything that wasn't a bullet.

Looking back you realize how intensive the fighting must have been. Parts of the trenches are still there. Probably will fill them in now that we are all "woke" about the Civil War.

Another nice tube trip is just north of the end of 400 on 60 heading into dahlonega. Just a few miles up the road at appalachian outfitters. Best part is there is a trail you can walk back up and go back down the river as often as you want. Much deeper water and less traffic. They do canoe rentals there too.

Then the is a trip from copper mines to the next bridge. That one is a 7 hour tubing trip.

Back
Top Bottom