• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tubing the Chattahoochee

I used to float the Flint in a canoe .

put in a Sprewells Bluff right at daylight and take out at hwy 36.

never done the hooch.

Tubing the Nottley north of Blairsville is a good ride too.

just pay the place and they ride you upstream and you get out at the flea market .

I’ve done it twice, with the grandkids. And we used the tubing company. The only thing they offer in terms of distance, was a 1 hour kind ride, and a 2 hours kinda ride. They take you in a bus. Drive you up the river... And yes @The Southern Gentlemen is correct, I think using the tubing company would be much easier. We bought some wood sticks to help us to navigate the river, they’re about 4.5 feet long, we still have them at home to use this year.

When I tubed the Chattahoochee River for the first time, in the Buford Sugarhill Johns Creek area, I estimated I would go 3 miles an hour.
But it was really closer to 1 mph.
The next time the river was lower and slower moving, so I thought I might go one and a half miles an hour, but it was even slower than that --below one.

Kayaks are faster than tubes and I would recommend that if it is affordable and you have a properly equipped vehicle meeting you to pick up the kayak at the get-out location.

t
Just 'put-in' before South Cobb Rd ...Or put in there & get out at Six Flags , you will need a change of clothes & also a HAS -MAT bath after.

For Real , You got good advice in yr reply's

Back in the day we would put in Near roswell & get out a Riverbend Apt's or Acres Mill . Ahhh The Good Old Day's .
Are you old enough to remember "The Great Chattahoochee Raft Race"? :fish2: Still have my patch somewhere or another.

t
Are you old enough to remember "The Great Chattahoochee Raft Race"? :fish2: Still have my patch somewhere or another.

Yes I remember it , every July 4 weekend if I recall right .

Back the I was under 12 y/o but have vivid memories of driving over the river at Paces Ferry on 285 & seeing the River full of rafts . I started my tubing / rafting in 1985 .

I don't want to run into a crowd of 100 tubers, etc.

If you do not want a crowd, go now! Almost every 'nice' day during the summer is going to see a sea of humanity on tubes, both on the Hooch in Helen or Chestatee in Dahlonega. Make sure the water level is up, else you run the risk of bumping your butt - a lot (ask me how I know!!) The one hour (or even two hour) float may not seem long now, but try it first, then decide. (You do not want to be stuck on a mult-hour trip if you are not having fun.)

Back
Top Bottom