• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trying to decide on sights/optics for my Marlin 336

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
I've long enjoyed the traditional rear buckhorn/hooded front gold dot on my Marlin 336. However, reality of aging eyesight has been creeping in for a while; I have fairly typical, middle-aged deterioration of both distance and close up sight. Have glasses for distance. If I'm shooting scoped (my bolt guns), I leave the glasses on until I spot the game, and then switch to the scope view. With iron sights, it's trickier. Can leave glasses on or off, with either diminished view of target or sights, depending on whether I am wearing them. Last year, I had a frontal shot on an eight pointer with the 336, not more than 50 to 60 yards, was certain I had the bead on his chest. Popped him just below the left eye. That was with glasses. Was disappointing, considering the range. I love hunting with the 336 with no optics because of how easy it carries. But that can't take priority over hitting where I am aiming.

I have a set of Truglo sights (red pipe front, twin pipe green dot rear) that I just fitted up for a trial run at the bench, to see if the better visibility improves things. They definitely show up better, might do the trick. If these don't work, I'm considering either a ghost ring or a red dot. Without glasses, a red dot looks like a starburst to me. With glasses, crisp dot. That might work well.

Was wondering particularly about reflex style sights, and whether or not I'll get the blurred/starburst effect I get with a red dot.

Anybody have experience with diminished, uncorrected eyesight and a reflex sight?

I have a Holosun 507c on my 1894p and it’s great. If you don’t turn the dot up too high. It might not starburst on you.

Skinners or XS ghost ring style sights are great too.

Back
Top Bottom