• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trying a new chili

Not an expert but …

The only way I tend to get chili “right” is when I cook the meat, onions, and seasoning together pretty thoroughly into a kind of paste before I start adding additional ingredients.
Usually how I do it also but wanted to try something different. Not a great idea…. Lol

Not an expert but …

The only way I tend to get chili “right” is when I cook the meat, onions, and seasoning together pretty thoroughly into a kind of paste before I start adding additional ingredients.
Me too. I do onions/ peppers, then garlic, then seasoning, then meat, then tomato paste, then all the rest.

I just heard a chef talking about making soup. She preferred to add the herbs at the end instead of earlier in the process because all the aroma from the herbs will cook out. next batch of chili I’m going to try adding 1/2 the chili powder / herbs with the meat and 1/ 2 towards the end and see how it turns out.

Reactions: GFB
I find that if you go to Kroger early (before 9am) you can get great deals on almost expired meats. If you see fire trucks there you’re too late.
This is the truth, at least for Kroger. I do my grocery shopping on Thursday morning. I do the curbside ordering for everything but the meat, because they will find the most expensive cut of meat to put in your order, making the price skyrocket. While I am waiting for the online order to be ready I go inside and look for all the manager specials and buy what I can. Also, if you are a fan of bacon (who isn't), the bacon in the meat case is some of the best I have had. Its thick cut with a good fat to meat ratio. Its also usually 4.99 a lb, which is cheaper than Wrights. Its also less "wet" than the prepackaged stuff.

Back
Top Bottom