• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

True or False? Did Isakson do this?

I read in another post that if the Senate doesn't vote on the Treaty, it can be signed by the President and go into effect.

If Reid stays in control, this could happen.

Brother Ken,

Several things:
1st, Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution allows the President of the U.S. to initiate treaty negotiations, but there is no path to ratifying a Treaty other than a 2/3 concurrance of the U.S. Senate. THEN, the President can sign the treaty, which is the actual act of ratification;
2nd, believe it or not, Harry Reid is not pro-gun control. Seriously, he has been fairly NRA-friendly over the years. He's still a creep, irrespective of that track record.

Below is the verbatim language from the Constitution, I stand corrected on the 2/3 vote - it is of the Senators present. I confused it with a "cloture vote" which is 60 votes, period.

Powers of the Executive Branch ("He" is defined in another paragraph as the President of the United States)
"He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments."

Stick to the truth, for the truth shall set you free.

Last edited:
Brother Ken,

Several things:
1st, Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution allows the President of the U.S. to initiate treaty negotiations, but there is no path to ratifying a Treaty other than a 2/3 concurrance of the U.S. Senate. THEN, the President can sign the treaty, which is the actual act of ratification;
2nd, believe it or not, Harry Reid is not pro-gun control. Seriously, he has been fairly NRA-friendly over the years. He's still a creep, irrespective of that track record.

Below is the verbatim language from the Constitution, I stand corrected on the 2/3 vote - it is of the Senators present. I confused it with a "cloture vote" which is 60 votes, period.

Powers of the Executive Branch ("He" is defined in another paragraph as the President of the United States)
"He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments."

Stick to the truth, for the truth shall set you free.

ah the Constitution... Learn it, live it, love it.

Good research.

You could have simply asked "Has anybody heard about... " and not posted a list of Senators with contact info and such.

Hear me clearly on this - I'm not saying this is you. I am touchy about this stuff because it is a common tool of the leftist political establishment to infiltrate conservative boards and do disruptive things. Their goal is to get people's heads spinning over non issues so they lose focus on the real issues. In the State of Georgia (which "performs" solidly Republican) it doesn't matter much, but in a state like Florida which is the biggest of the "Swing States" AND which decided a Presidential race in 2000 by 536 votes, these sorts of things really do matter.

If you read any online newspaper forums or Yahoo, etc. you'll see it at work. Any post that is adverse to Obama or the Democrats is immediately swarmed with negative ratings (if it has that system) and there will be a flood of short quippy insults deigned to move the comment they don't like quickly out of the top spot. It's an online shoutdown. The other technique is to either gets heads spinning with a false report, or they try to keep you engaged in a circular dialog that cannot be won and does nothing more than waste time.

I would encourage you to be cautious about what you cut and paste into a forum, and don't take it too personal when someone reacts strongly to disinformation.

Back
Top Bottom