• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Truck drivers

Like I said earlier, the mega carriers have kept this industry stagnant from the check book perspective of drivers. They'll hire anyone with a pulse, put them through their school, and keep them for 2 yrs. During that 2 yrs, they are paying these drivers somewhere south of 40 cents/mile. Mere peanuts. They don't care if they leave at 2 yrs, or even 6 months. They run schools every month, and fill those seats without a second though as to who is filling them. Meanwhile, they're running fleets of more than 10 thousand trucks, and securing contracts to haul an overwhelming majority of freight. Freight prices are kept low because somehow they keep finding drivers to work OTR for peanuts. This keeps the mom and pop companies that try to take care of their drivers and equipment at a disadvantage, because they simply can't haul the freight at a break even cost, or even worse at a loss to stay competitive with the megas. How do these companies keep the revolving door spinning? By filling their schools with people who wouldn't have gotten a glance from a company 20 years ago, paying them nothing, and rotating them in and out on a monthly basis. That is the majority of the OP's observation. I grew up in an O/O business, and know the struggles, time, risk and headache that comes with that. There's still money to be made, but it is much tougher now. My dad would roll over in his grave if he could see some of these jack wagons walking into truck stops now.

On 85 North today up to Jefferson and back, 18 wheelers sided by side at 62 in a 70, miles and miles. guy finally got past, moved right, and car in front of me stayed side by side with him for another few miles at 65.....

Losers!
That raises my blood pressure just thinking about it

I used to think it might be a job I’d like till I talked with several guys that drove and decided I would go another route. Proud for the ones that do it though

Same way you can go to a different country and drive.

There is not enough people wanting to drive with out them.
I don’t know of one single company over a few trucks that are not looking for drivers.
My best friend manages his family's trucking business. They have about twenty or so trucks. I'm always listening to him gripe about his drivers and the stupid stuff they do. I finally asked him "if they piss you off so much, why not just fire them?". He just laughed at me and said "where the hell would I find someone to replace them?". He started educating me on how hard it is to find drivers. I just assumed there were plenty of them out there. Not the case apparently.

He fired and then rehired one who decided it would be ok to use his big truck to pull his fifth wheel camper.

We get deliverers from cdl people daily. Most are concrete trucks but cdl none the less. There is a running joke about the inabilities of a truck driver. Typically the older ones are the good ones. They get out of there truck and look at where you want them on the job site and you show them where you want them and they'll put it there. Then there are the others that I have watched back into buildings while everyone is screaming and waiving their hands.

The pay is why good drivers are hard to come by, pure and simple. As mentioned above, the money is a joke to live in the truck for a week at a time. Union haulers do better, but there are way more non union outfits than union outfits. Hotshot used to do well because it was needed in a hurry, and still can be in the right area in the right circumstances. I would venture to say the average uber driver makes more on a busy day than a long haul freight puller.

No, he’s right. Can’t drive after 14 hours working, and only 11 hours driving before break.
So you can drive 11 hours take a ten hour break and repeat day in and day out, and many do.

Only up to a certain point.

You can work/drive a MAXIMUM of 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days. This is dependent upon the employer's status. At that point a 34 hour break is required by law.

Back
Top Bottom