• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trout Fishing

CliffB

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
So I got my trout endorsement last year for the first time ever and with our Jeep we've been spending more and more time in the mountains. I'd like to be able to toss a ultralight rod in the Jeep and try my hand at trout fishing this spring and summer when we find water in the CNF.

I will likely just break out my ultralights and not plan to buy any new rods or reels unless this discussion goes that direction. I believe my ultralights are 5'6"-6' and I believe I have 8lb line on them. One may get restrung with 4lb so that I have two options.

I'd like to primarily focus on learning to use 3" worms, rooster tails, and powerbaits. I don't feel like red wigglers or crickets require much explanation. We used this this year and caught plenty of fingerlings. I think I can manage fine tossing a cricket into the water and letting it float. I would love to hear what your favorite size and style hooks are though. I notice trout swallowing hooks is an issue due to the size of hooks used.

Anyways just wanted to start a general discussion about trout fishing in the Appalachians and I'll try to glean as much knowledge as possible from the discussions. Thanks guys.

Might want to consider restringing all of them. 8lb line is pretty heavy for ultralights and trout in the mountains. I usually use 4lb, but I wouldn't go heavier than 6lb. Rooster tails don't require much explanation either. Toss and retrieve, just make sure the blade is spinning. Get you some mealworm gold color Trout Magnets. Thats just about the only thing I fish with anymore in the mountains. 99% of the fish you will catch on a Trout Magnet will be hooked somewhere in the front of the mouth. I've never seen a trout swallow a Trout Magnet and I catch 300+ trout a year in the mountains.

You can keep the 8lb test, but tie on a 4lb fluorocarbon leader, about 4' long. As far as the 3"worms, a couple small weights about 1' from the hook and worm, so it moves downstream naturally will work.

On a side note, learn how to fly fish, it will change your life.

I picked up some 6lb braided to try out on my ultralight combo. Threw together a small tackle box also so all of my trout equipment would be in one place. Went on amazon and ordered some of the cheese colored Berkeley worms and now we wait.
3C38BF36-5226-4116-A23E-2ED3316AB22D.jpeg
71865424-A7E5-4BBA-9246-5D3BDC20D8E0.jpeg
CD0A4BAB-940D-4FA5-BE9D-6195FE59BF71.jpeg

I use a 6-8 pound test.After losing a really good fish I started using heavier line. You need to come up to our trout stream meet and greet this year at Rock creek.

I use a 6-8 pound test.After losing a really good fish I started using heavier line. You need to come up to our trout stream meet and greet this year at Rock creek.

I’ll have to watch for that. Coming from bass, bream and catfish fishing I don’t know where any good spots are or anything. Starting from scratch here.

That shouldn't be an issue either I've got plenty of that.
Just make sure not to cast the knot connecting them through the eyelets. The knot hitting the eyelets as you cast weakens it and it can break with very little tension after several casts. I've started using an 18 to 24 inch leader due to this and don't think I'm getting fewer strikes.

Just make sure not to cast the knot connecting them through the eyelets. The knot hitting the eyelets as you cast weakens it and it can break with very little tension after several casts. I've started using an 18 to 24 inch leader due to this and don't think I'm getting fewer strikes.

excellent info.

Back
Top Bottom