• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trout fishing help

MrJim

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
19   0
Reaction score
I’m going to be off for a week in a few and want to try trout fishing with ultra lite spinning reel. Can anyone suggest some flys and line weight? Thinking about the river above Helen. Also have a creek on my neighbors property. Im sure no trout but any suggestions for that? Seems kinda deep. Smallest line I have now is 4lb. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I used a ultra lite spinning rod my entire life when I lived up north. Unfortunately I didn't think of checking out to see if there were trout in Ga. when we moved here and gave everything I had away. When fishing in the river, I'd use a small snelled hook like these, https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...VyeeyCh0flQhOEAQYBCABEgL1OvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds in a size 8 or size 10 attached to a small brass swivel. The brass acts as a flasher and I've seen them chase the swivel. If you're releasing fish knock the barb off the hook. For bait I'd always use meal worms. I don't know if they sell them here in bait shops, but you can get them at a Petco or a chain pet store. Your 4 lb. line is good, just cast your line straight out, or a little upstream, and let it float down naturally in a half circle, keeping the line as straight (tight) as you can by picking up your rod at times when it goes slack. Reel it back slow, because they do chase. Give it some help if it gets caught on the bottom, but let it float down. Look for little swirling pools behind rocks, let the bait swish around in them, you'll see the line going round in a circle, when it stops reel slow until you feel the tug. . Also look for where the stream narrows, or picks up speed, and let the bait down thru. They recognize a funnel and wait there for food. Trout stay in the shady, cool areas, and if they bite once, and you miss them, keep casting into them. Eventually they'll get mad enough to strike again. Don't use split shot on your line unless the water's fast, use as little weight as you can. With an ultra light you really don't need weight to cast, and if the water's dirty, drop your bait along the shoreline and open your bail to let it drift. You'll get to read the water as soon as you see how it flows. Good luck, nothing like a couple nice trout for breakfast.

Simple, follow the hooch above helen up into the chattachoochie nat forest towards low gap and upper hooch campground. Get a small #6 circle or mosquito hook with a size bb split shot about 12 in. Above hook. Put a cricket or red wiggler on and drift it through the holes. Easy peasy

Simple, follow the hooch above helen up into the chattachoochie nat forest towards low gap and upper hooch campground. Get a small #6 circle or mosquito hook with a size bb split shot about 12 in. Above hook. Put a cricket or red wiggler on and drift it through the holes. Easy peasy
I may fish up that way soon.

I’m going to be off for a week in a few and want to try trout fishing with ultra lite spinning reel. Can anyone suggest some flys and line weight? Thinking about the river above Helen. Also have a creek on my neighbors property. Im sure no trout but any suggestions for that? Seems kinda deep. Smallest line I have now is 4lb. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I'm a little confused by your post but it sounds like you are wanting to use fly line and flies with an ultra light spinning rig? If so, maybe there's something I'm unaware of but I don't think that's going to work, at all.
With an ultra light spinning rig (which presumably is going to be a short rod) you use ultra light spinning tackle. Traditional light line with light spinning tackle, rooster tails, jigs, tiny plugs, etc. You could use live bait.
But spinning rod and reel and fly line and flies? I don't think so.

I used to throw flies with a spinning rig and a water bobber for weight to cast. I never used it in a river, just in trout ponds.

I'm a little confused by your post but it sounds like you are wanting to use fly line and flies with an ultra light spinning rig? If so, maybe there's something I'm unaware of but I don't think that's going to work, at all.
With an ultra light spinning rig (which presumably is going to be a short rod) you use ultra light spinning tackle. Traditional light line with light spinning tackle, rooster tails, jigs, tiny plugs, etc. You could use live bait.
But spinning rod and reel and fly line and flies? I don't think so.
No I certainly was asking about fly line. Mainly looking for flies or small jigs that I could cast a little bit. Im guessing my 4lb mono is ok. Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.

No I certainly was asking about fly line. Mainly looking for flies or small jigs that I could cast a little bit. Im guessing my 4lb mono is ok. Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.
Yes, it's what I use. That with size 1,3, or 5 Rapalas in either countdown (rainbow or brown trout colored) or floating original, depending on water and some rooster tails and your are good to go. Slime on. :)

Back
Top Bottom