• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble at the club

palmettomoon palmettomoon

I’m going to pretend your experience was the inspiration for Road House.
Now that's funny for real. There was a honky-tonk down in Clinton, SC and the owner came up to Greenville to ask if I'd put together a "security team" to work in his club and manage them. LOL! It was too close to the hokey movie for me so I declined.

Reactions: GFB
Macongo is having a big brewhaha over the suspension of a liquor license at the Thirsty Turtle after multiple shootings this year. As you might imagine, thugvish behavior and shootings should be somewhat expected when your adverts look like this:
FB_IMG_1634167196328.jpg

Macongo is having a big brewhaha over the suspension of a liquor license at the Thirsty Turtle after multiple shootings this year. As you might imagine, thugvish behavior and shootings should be somewhat expected when your adverts look like this:
View attachment 3587932
You mean, **** it UP Friday is cancelled? :(

But for real, they absolutely catered to the violent thug community of Macongo, I'm glad to see them go.

Now that's funny for real. There was a honky-tonk down in Clinton, SC and the owner came up to Greenville to ask if I'd put together a "security team" to work in his club and manage them. LOL! It was too close to the hokey movie for me so I declined.
I went to college in Clinton in the late -70s and early '80s. The honky-tonk you refer to was the Hounds Tooth lounge. I remember going there ONCE. After that, we just drove to Columbia if we wanted to go to a club.

When I first read the above, I was thinking Clinton, NC, which is in a dry county. That sounded super shady until I looked at it a second time. Road House is one of my all-time favorite bad movies. I love the idea there were these famous bouncers making crazy money cleaning up honky-tonks around the country.

When I first read the above, I was thinking Clinton, NC, which is in a dry county. That sounded super shady until I looked at it a second time. Road House is one of my all-time favorite bad movies. I love the idea there were these famous bouncers making crazy money cleaning up honky-tonks around the country.
Not in GA or SC, LOL. I used to get $15/hr cash (had to sign a chit at the end of the night) at the private clubs (open after hours if you were a member) and I think $10 or $11 at the corp owned nightclubs. Made way more money taking "tips" to allow folks in without waiting in line than I ever did bartending or from my regular pay.

This was in '87 - '91. Got tired of getting called as witness in civil cases between owners suing each other. Plus, catching your boss stealing from himself and his partners is not a good place to be.

• Wow
Reactions: GFB
Back
Top Bottom