• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trivia quiz to win a free firearms class!

The winner is rOmiLaYu rOmiLaYu !

1. What was the first bolt action rifle or carbine issued by the US military?
    1,000 Palmer carbines were issued to US Army cavalry in 1865.
  2. What is the oldest and longest continuously produced shoulder firearm in the world?
    Marlin 39A, in its iterations at the Model 1891, then 1892, then 1897, then 39, and lastly the 39A.
  3. Name 5 different firearms the USA sent to Great Britain under the Lend Lease program during WWII.
    M1911A1, Thompson SMG, M1917 revolvers, Browning M2HB, BAR, P17 Enfield, M1919, M1 Garand, and S&W M&P, and more. The list is quite long.
  4. What is the most produced firearm in history? Bit of contention here as to whether it is the Mauser 98 design, or the AK47 family, so I accepted both answers. On one hand, the common answer is the AK-47 and variants with over 150 million estimated to be in use today. The second most produced is the Mauser Gewerh 98 at 102 million. Estimates of production of the AK-47 derivative weapons at 150 million may be exaggerated. Various sources quote figures between 35 and 150 million. The Mauser Gewehr 98 at 102 million is a sounder estimate. Of course the Mauser had been around much longer than the AK. The data offered by the Small Arms Survey has several times been denounced as misleading or incorrect. The best known case is the estimation of the number of firearms in Finland. The number was so high that nearly every Finnish family should have an illegal firearm at home (on top of all the legal ones) to be true. This number has since then kept popping up as the Small Arms Survey has not corrected it, despite the Finnish ministry of interior making a statement that the numbers are completely wrong.
  5. What was different about the Sniper rifle of Simo "Simuna" Häyhä, when compared to other 20th century military Sniper rifles? He used iron sights instead of an optic, for several reasons, the main one being reliability in the extremely cold weather.
  6. What is “buck n’ ball”? A common load for muzzle-loading muskets and was frequently used in the American Revolutionary War and into the early days of the American Civil War. The load usually consisted of a .50 to .75 caliber round lead musket ball (.69 caliber for the "Brown Bess" musket) that was combined with three to six buckshot pellets. Also used in shotguns.
  7. This man developed and built semi-automatic rifle designs while serving a prison sentence for the murder of a NC Deputy. He later went on to perfect the design of the M1 Carbine. David Marshall “Carbine” Williams
  8. In Mikhail Kalashnikov’s design for the original AK47, was the receiver stamped or milled? Stamped. Yes, the first AK’s that were MADE were milled, but that wasn’t the question. The question was “In Mikhail Kalashnikov’s design for the original AK47, was the receiver stamped or milled?” He designed the AK to have a stamped receiver. Problem was, the Soviets didn’t have the technology at the time to make a proper stamped receiver. So, they converted a Mosin-Nagant factory to begin milling AK receivers while they worked on perfecting their stamped metal technology. Once they got the technology perfect, they ceased making milled receivers and went to stamped.
    On another interesting note (at least I find it interesting!), the Russians did a longevity test of milled vs stamped receiver AK’s and decided that the stamped receiver guns lasted longer.
  9. What did Daisy make before they made BB guns? Daisy Outdoor Products originally made and sold steel windmills as the Plymouth Iron Windmill Company, which was formed in 1882. In 1888, the company started giving away BB guns with each windmill purchase. The BB guns became so popular, however, that Plymouth switched gears, changed its name and began selling the BB guns instead, establishing itself as one of the most iconic names in the industry.
  10. In the movie “The Wizard of Oz”, which character carried a gun? The Scarecrow. Google it and you can find an image.

Thanks for the answers, and the research that went into this.
Had I taken the quiz, I think I would have gotten #4 and #6 right.
Not #2, although I owned a Marlin 39TDS for years.
Not #3, because I could only think of the P17 Enfield rifle and the S&W .38 revolver, though Ma Deuce may have entered my mind too.

Good trivia quiz.

Thanks for the answers, and the research that went into this.
Had I taken the quiz, I think I would have gotten #4 and #6 right.
Not #2, although I owned a Marlin 39TDS for years.
Not #3, because I could only think of the P17 Enfield rifle and the S&W .38 revolver, though Ma Deuce may have entered my mind too.

Good trivia quiz.

Thanks! Questions 1 and 2 I only learned of very recently, and were the catalyst for doing this quiz.

She's Off to Off the Wizard.png

Back
Top Bottom