• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trespassing while Fishing question

Why are you goin full Nazi on people fishin. Unless they are trashin it up why not let em.
Years ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly but in today’s litigious society as soon as someone gets hurts or God forbid drowns on your property the “one call that’s all” folks will be kicking down your door to fleece you or try and take your property.

Unfortunately you must use whatever it legally takes to keep people off your property or the screwed up judicial system will find it’s your fault for someone else’s stupidity or negligence. Plus people don’t mind trashing your property. I look at the urbanites and suburbanites that come up here to “get away from the city and enjoy the beauty of the mountains” yet they leave their water bottles, candy wrappers and other trash all along the trails.

Me thinks in the way of an outdoor pool within a fenced area within your fenced property and somebody drowns and your the one getting the shaft.

I'm all for posting multiple targets and leaving the oh so sacred brass all over the place.

For all of you who say you can "float on through" because the water is owned by the state, I suggest you read the Georgia Supreme Court case
Givens v. Ichauway, Inc.

The Supremes say "it just ain't so."

Says the river isn't navigable, which means you can't get out in the banks or stand on the beds. Even means the property owner could fence across it. But, you're never gonna get a trespassing charge to stick on someone who never got off the water.

There's also federal case law that contradicts GA's stupid "navigable river laws". It's a bit of a cluster **** in GA. I float the Flint river all summer long and most of it is private property. Everytime I get out my canoe, Everytime my canoe bumps a rock or drags the bottom of the bank, Everytime I have to drag my canoe several hundred feet, and definitely every time I camp, I am technically trespassing according to GA law.

The Flint river, which is clearly a navigable river, is not a navigable river according to GA law. But federal law trumps that, it just hasn't come to a federal court yet.

When I got ticketed for camping on a large flat Rock that extends from the bank to half way across the river, I was ready to take it all the way to the supreme Court if I had to (not really, don't have the money for that) but as soon as I showed the prosecutor where we was at using Google maps, she said oh hell no, it may be private property but that's the river as far as I'm concerned and she dismissed the case.

I have creek that runs through my property as well. I just stand on my back deck and stare at them to let them know im watching. They go about there business. Unless they are damaging or trashin it up why not let them enjoy nature.

If it makes you that angry go buy some fence materials and buy a buncha signs that say no tresspassing
Nah. Best option is to get ****faced and let some 12 gauge rounds off in the air. Then, if that doesn't work. 2 liter bottles with tannerite usually do the trick

Says the river isn't navigable, which means you can't get out in the banks or stand on the beds. Even means the property owner could fence across it. But, you're never gonna get a trespassing charge to stick on someone who never got off the water.

Apparently you didn't actually read the case, because that's exactly what happened to Mr. Givens. He received a substantial fine and some jail time I believe for trespassing.

It also happened on several trout streams in N. Ga.

But I always say, if you are comfortable living on the edge, go for it.

Actually the issue of the navigability of the Flint River has been addressed by a federal court.

Back
Top Bottom