• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Treasure Hunting - Metal Detectors

Detecting small objects with a metal detector takes some practice. You have to slow your search way down. You would think 45acp brass would be easy to find in some leaves, nope. After a slow methodical search in an area less than 16 sqft, all was found. Others may be quicker, but that is what I experienced.

Get some stakes and string and lay out a grid in the suspect area, and pound the heck out of it. Practice with some small washers to see how sensitive your equipment is.

Detecting small objects with a metal detector takes some practice. You have to slow your search way down. You would think 45acp brass would be easy to find in some leaves, nope. After a slow methodical search in an area less than 16 sqft, all was found. Others may be quicker, but that is what I experienced.

Get some stakes and string and lay out a grid in the suspect area, and pound the heck out of it. Practice with some small washers to see how sensitive your equipment is.

Good advice!
I buried some different sized coins, some silver at different depths.
I even took a ring off my finger and buried that, I buried all kinds of stuff....

That was great practice and I would start that way again if I pick up another machine.
One thing for sure it shows you your limit on depth!

(My sister who lives on the beach, stole my last one. She was having such a great time "treasure hunting" I didn't have the heart to take it back home with me. It's been 5 years and she still makes a point of hunting after a storm. Some gold coins, after storms, have been found on her beach....)

Good advice!
I buried some different sized coins, some silver at different depths.
I even took a ring off my finger and buried that, I buried all kinds of stuff....

That was great practice and I would start that way again if I pick up another machine.
One thing for sure it shows you your limit on depth!

(My sister who lives on the beach, stole my last one. She was having such a great time "treasure hunting" I didn't have the heart to take it back home with me. It's been 5 years and she still makes a point of hunting after a storm. Some gold coins, after storms, have been found on her beach....)

Just for clarification, 16sqft is the size of a half a sheet of plywood. Easy search? Hardly

Gold is gonna come up the same as a pull-tab , Gum-Foil ,Shredded Can (each piece), Nickles, ...Really depends on the Size, being a recent loss is their best advantage, along with knowing the area.

I have 4 machines 3 I know well & 1 I'm still learning.
Guess I could Google Meansville.

Gold is gonna come up the same as a pull-tab , Gum-Foil ,Shredded Can (each piece), Nickles, ...Really depends on the Size, being a recent loss is their best advantage, along with knowing the area.

I have 4 machines 3 I know well & 1 I'm still learning.
Guess I could Google Moorsville.

I see him as Molena, GA - about 2 hours due south of you....

Hmmm, Man that's a Good little way.

I know some guy's in South Ga , Hunted with a Guy 30 miles SE of Macon last May but have not heard from him since, Guess he did not like me , or got tired of digging Trash . I think he watched too many Digging Shows on TV & Thought It was Easy Money. lol

Back
Top Bottom